The awesome tracer gun of our Gen X youth

Remember the smell of cap guns? I loved playing with the guns, but wasn’t above stretching out a caps roll and hitting them with a hammer.

10 Likes

You know how the rolls of caps would come in a pack with 5 rolls sort of stuck together? We used to drop bricks and cinder blocks on all five rolls at once, for bigger booms.

5 Likes

Oh good, we weren’t the only little terrors who did that!

1 Like

Grew up in the 70s. Went to visit my folks a couple of weeks ago, who still live in the same house Mom showed me something she found while cleaning recently: a tracer disc. We had the most epic battles with those things!!

2 Likes

Those were fun too! Not quite as reliable as the tracer disc or as long-ranged, but the aim was better.

1 Like

Yeah, mine was a full power 70’s one (and Trek branded). I remember finding one in the 90’s that used slightly smaller discs with a weak spring.

We used to get about half a roll of caps, put them between 2 1" bolts with a nut in between and then throw them up high and let gravity do the rest. Colloquially known as a “bolt bomb”

Of course we did this in an entirely safe manner and no one ever got hurt /s

I categorically deny ever having dropped them from our nearest pedestrian overpass onto the road below (not into traffic, I should add). It would have been awesome if I had though. I assume.

2 Likes

Disc guns, the Zebra guns, and caps are core memories of my late-70’s/early-80’s youth :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.