The Bardo might be the trippiest trailer of 2022

Originally published at: The Bardo might be the trippiest trailer of 2022 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I saw the title and wondered if Laurie Anderson was going to be involved in some way…

And then I watched it and heard the Beatles I am the Walrus, and wondered if it was gonna be another film of a boomer dude on acid, which is what it seems like to me… Not much Laurie Anderson to be found, sadly.

YMMV!

5 Likes

Come on, folks. There’s room for fine art, and there’s room for memes. It’s not (particularly like) pie.

4 Likes

I agree that there should be room for all sorts of movies in the U.S. media landscape, but these days it sort of is like pie. Many filmmakers interested in making something other than the next blockbuster often point out that it’s harder than ever to get financial backing.

2 Likes

What came to mind for me was George Saunders’ novel Lincoln in the Bardo. And this clearly ain’t that either!

4 Likes

I need to read more Saunders… I loved his book of short stories I read a while ago…

I mean… I’m sure it’ll be fine, but whenever the Beatles show up alongside trippy visuals centered around the experiences of a dude, I get a little triggered… :grimacing: :laughing:

5 Likes

No doubt. Did you you see Iñárritu’s The Revenant? Some breathtaking visuals, but a macho-fest for sure.

3 Likes

The dude makes films for middle aged upper-class guys who like to feel cultured. He makes very good version of those films, but it’s what he makes. Even Birdman was centered around a play of Raymond Carver stories.

2 Likes

I have not… it didn’t seem interesting to me, I guess… That’s the one where Leo Dicaprio fights a bear? Birdman was fine.

Anyways, here’s some trippy visuals around the experiences of a woman instead…

4 Likes

Yep. And where he stays warm by climbing inside a recently deceased horse. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

So… it’s a rip off of Star Wars? :thinking: :laughing:

4 Likes

Dick Wolf Fbifam GIF by CBS

3 Likes

Sure, love the visuals. But some of you pegged exactly how I felt watching this unrelated montage of vaguely psychedelic imagery while the Beatles played. It’s a mood, and I very much agree with …

… exactly. That mood, right there.

Yeah, MCU this ain’t…

From watching the trailer I have no idea what this movie is about. I then did some internet searches and it does seem like an interesting movie that’ll I’ll probably watch some year.

1 Like

Likewise. Looks interesting, but in no hurry to put myself through it.

1 Like

He has a new collection coming 10/18 called “Liberation Day” that I’m very excited for.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.