'The Batman' trailer reveals Robert Pattinson as the eponymous crimefighter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/the-batman-trailer-reveals.html

8 Likes

All I can say is thank goodness that we’ll finally get to see Batman in a movie.

25 Likes

That letter to the Batman looked like my little niece from the second grade wrote it. Lol!

3 Likes

I’ve waited decades to see Bruce Wayne wearing eyeshadow under that mask.

13 Likes

26 Likes

At this rate soon they’ll be able to dispense with set lighting altogether.

21 Likes

Man, I am soooo excited for this! I’ve waited WAY too long for a sequel to the Crow! I can’t believe they even dug up Brandon Lee… literally.

Too soon? Yeah, too soon…

Honestly, I’m just underwhelmed here. It’s still early in the filming, so maybe the end product will be better than what’s presented, but emo Batman is not on my list of things I want for 2021.

5 Likes

Honestly, as much as I hurt inside to say it, this looks pretty good. I mean, comparatively…

3 Likes

You may not realize that all the sophisticated cinephiles understand that grimdark + actively unpleasant / impenetrable cinematography = good Batman. The current trajectory indicates that there will be a Batman movie in 2030 that is indistinguishable from Saw. It will gross three hundred dollars, and the studio will decide that the next one needs more decapitations.

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: .:ww84:

Wonder if we’ll see the heart-wrenching scene where his parents are killed? That would really be something to examine in film!

9 Likes

I like most of those actors but… not only have I seen them in lots of movies already, it seems I’ve seen them in lots of movies LIKE THIS ONE already. Come to think of it that trailer felt like one of those fan-made wish-fulfilment jobs where people paste together a hodge-podge of clips from different films to make it look like there’s a new sequel to ET or something…

7 Likes

The trailer is significantly more mopey than I was hoping for.

Still, trailers gonna trailer. It’s still being directed by the guy responsible for Netflix Dare Devil. They’ve been loud about focusing on worlds greatest detective Batman. And they went with a straight up O’neal and Adams grade Batmobile. Which speaks to versions of Batman with an actual social life and sense of humor.

So here’s hoping.

DC still seems frustratingly stuck on the idea that people don’t want their comic books movies to resemble comic books. And despite the fact that their closest things to success lately have mostly been the least grimdark they’re still pegging their fortunes to gritty douche baggery. I’m sure the success of Joker didn’t help on that front.

9 Likes

I just want to pitch my idea again, of a Batman movie where in the 1950’s a young millionaire Bruce Wayne created Batman as a PR gag, where Batman’s real pleasure isn’t in beating up thugs, but in testing some of the new gadgets Wayne Enterprises had come up with to help equip police, or simply the thrill of engaging weirdos to distract them from when the cops come around. Something more suited to a Netflix or Amazon Prime series, freed from the limitations of broadcast television or the need to tell a two hour story in one sitting.

Editing to add that in this version, Jim Gordon is the actual World’s Greatest Detective, Bruce is more of an athletic daredevil who has become a thrill addict.

13 Likes

Ugh. At least three villains in one film? They want to jump the shark in the first film of the reboot?

Wonder if we’ll see the heart-wrenching scene where his parents are killed? That would really be something to examine in film!

Like the radioactive spider bite? Can we please skip it? Literally seen it a million times, and at this point its more filler than a substantial contribution to a film.

I just want to pitch my idea again, of a Batman movie where in the 1950’s a young millionaire Bruce Wayne created Batman as a PR gag, where Batman’s real pleasure isn’t in beating up thugs, but in testing some of the new gadgets Wayne Enterprises had come up with to help equip police, or simply the thrill of engaging weirdos to distract them from when the cops come around.

That would be… actually unique, creative, and highly watchable. Sign me up!

5 Likes

It’s funny because this has been the issue with DC flicks vs MCU flicks…MCU says “It’s a comic book, we stick to the source material and don’t shy away from making it look how it should look”. They even make fun of themselves within the universe over it (Jokes about Cap’s Avengers uni for example).

Yet DC seems to look at those first X-men movies and says “Yeah, that’s what we will go for” it’s like they haven’t watched any of the modern MCU films at all! And when they tried to MCU-ize the Justice league flick with Whedon…it was terrible.

The Snyder cut trailer for Justice League already looks way better than the horrid thing Whedon gave the world.

The best DC film to me is Aquaman. They let Mamoa do his thing, they didn’t shy from the silliness of the Aquaman look and feel (Orange uni, Oceanmaster outfit, Black Manta…which turned out amaziing). They made a comic book movie with all its silly glory and it was awesome. James Wan even stuck well to Geoff Johns’ New 52 run, something none of the other films have been able to do. They always mash together bits and pieces that just don’t fit right.

5 Likes

I liked Wonder Woman better. But some of that us because I am sick to death of various iterations of the “Throne of Atlantis” story. (Justice League cartoon, DCAU version, Batman Brave and the Bold versions…).

Jason Momoa hit the right mix of goofy and action hero. Plus you had such a great supporting cast of scenery chewers like Nicole Kidman, Wilem Defoe and Dolph Lundgren.

5 Likes

Judging from the trailer, your little niece could also have written the screenplay.

2 Likes

I mean, I count one villain, several henchpersons, and one antihero/love interest.

1 Like

Shazam! was a fun pic too even if the villain was boring and generic. Sort of a superhero take on Big without the creepy part about Elizabeth Perkins unwittingly committing statutory rape with a 13-year-old.

They even included a quick throwaway joke where Shazam is fighting the villain in a toy store and steps on one of those electronic floor piano pads that Tom Hanks did “Chopsticks” on.

13 Likes