5 Likes
4 Likes

Well, you get what you pay for.
Oh, wait…

12 Likes

… and all that spending makes our GDP bigger :wink:

6 Likes

Win-win, win-win-win!
Or so my economics prof told me. I think. It’s been a while.

3 Likes

… also our life expectancy is actually 76 now :chart_with_downwards_trend:

3 Likes

Reminds me of a seemingly rhetorical question an economics class prof posed to us… but then answered himself: “Who won WWII? Japan.”

2 Likes

Nurse wanted to stuff the amputated foot and use it to scare children.

Sounds like she could’ve done that all by herself. :grimacing:

1 Like

It saddens me that UK is facing austerity 2.0, but Defence spending looks likely to go up, in light of the postwar Japanese economy.

1 Like

In the first six months of this year, children’s hospitals nationwide also reported a “shocking” 45% increase in the number of self-injury and suicide cases in 5- to 17-year-olds compared to the same period in 2019, according to Children’s Hospital Association President Amy Wimpey Knight.
“We are facing a significant national mental health crisis in our children and teens which requires urgent action,” Wimpey Knight said in a statement.

Just a gentle reminder from your friendly neighborhood pediatrician. Kids have mental health issues. The current world events, the overuse of social media, and the rise of dramatic intolerance for variation from the “standard issue kid” have worsened the crisis, and increased the burnout rate and retirement or just leaving the field of many, many mental health providers across the country. Insurance policies treating mental health differently from physical health (there is no line to draw here, in any real sense) make accessing what there is more difficult. Having a kid in crisis and being told there is a 6 month wait list is not helpful. Take care of your kids, be gentle with them and love them extravagantly, but most of all, listen to them. I cannot say how many times i have heard “I tried to talk to mom/dad/guardian but they couldn’t/wouldn’t listen or take the time.” It is hard and scary to actually hear your kids sometimes. Do it anyway.

15 Likes
4 Likes

As always, the performative cruelty is the entire point. Can’t let those poors start thinking they are actually human with rights and all, now can we?

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.