The best place to put a fan

Yeah, that’s me.

4 Likes

Yeah - you can’t do that with a tactical fan!

camofan1

2 Likes

1990s era Chrysler minivans still had them. Popular with women wearing skirts.

3 Likes

My last Volvo had ventilated seats (with fans in!) for crotchular AND assular cooling.

10 Likes

Yeah I am going to go out on a limb and say if you want to move air through a window, you are better off using a window fan.

3 Likes

That does make sense, but whenever it’s hot enough here to make me want a fan, it’s because it’s hot outside.

(The main volume of my lair has a skylight I can open, so it’s not really possible for it to be hotter indoors, although sometimes I am visited by birds and then it is a deadly race against time to guide them out again before someone soils themself with embarrassment)

2 Likes

If it’s hot outside, close the windows. You need to stop heat coming in. That means closing the windows, and closing the drapes wherever the sun’s shining in. Then open the windows in the evening when the air is cool outside.

4 Likes

Tried ventilated seats for the first time when I was test driving recently and they’ve instantly become a requirement for me.

5 Likes

He doesn’t appear to be controlling for the fact that there are wind gusts as evidenced by the trees outside his windows.

@cstatman: You may enjoy a current available feature in GM products - the seat fan. It feels weird to me.

3 Likes

tenor (27)

2 Likes

The first time I test drove a car with ventilated seats, it felt like I had wet my pants. I thought ‘So this is what getting old feels like.’

6 Likes

If you watch the video, he also uses a box fan. Putting it right against the window screen is largely ineffective because box fans blow in the middle but (literally) suck around the edges.

1 Like

Ah thanks! Didn’t watch far enough!

1 Like

Yeah, “This man” makes it seem like he’s not a household name.

1 Like

Hey! Whatever gloriously unfurls your flaxen tresses is fine by me.

3 Likes

Well just putting a box fan in a screened window, I’ve found (with a second open window in the room) that blowing air out rather than in cools the room better in the evenings when it’s cooler outside than in. Air moves in the other open window fast enough that the window shade tilts up with the air current.

1 Like

If you have double hung sash windows, and the top half hasn’t been painted shut (which they all seem to be), then ideally you want a fan blowing hot air through the top opening, and another pulling cooler air through the bottom.

2 Likes

So basically this is supposed to approximate a whole-house fan?

1 Like

We moved into our big three storey brick Victorian/Edwardian beastie in mid-May of '84. It had fully functioning central air for the first 2 or 3 years, which was great. (Detroit started experiencing much hotter summers, with multiple 90°+ days, right around that time.) Not long after the central air died, mom bought a massive exhaust fan, and we installed it in a top floor side window. It even came with a remote control! Whenever it began getting warm, we’d turn on/turn up the exhaust fan, and it did a marvellous job of swiftly sucking out all the hot air, and drawing in a wonderful breeze through the windows on the other floors & front and back screen doors. We’d lean back and sigh with pleasure in unison when we began cooling off. The day it died was almost as sad as the day we lost the central air.

There were days - and far more rarely than now, nights - which were so bad we’d grab all the cats and pile into mom’s big bedroom, where our only a/c unit lived, and shut the door! The rest of the house was still made more tolerable by that exhaust fan.

As another poster wisely pointed out, closing shades/drapes/curtains against the Sun does make a huge difference, and even when the windows are left open.

4 Likes

austin texas, mid 1980s… august? 100degrees 98% humidity.

shorts and the under-steering vent? made for comfy “package”