The Bill Murray/Jeep Groundhog day commercial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/03/the-bill-murray-jeep-groundhog.html

7 Likes

As with most sequels, it lacked the charm and spontaneity of the original. But I will say Murray’s chemistry with that groundhog was much better than he had with Andie MacDowell.

19 Likes

I saw my first Jeep Gladiator pickup on the highway last week. Pretty neat. Didn’t know there was a Rubicon version. I enjoyed the commercial as well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
9 Likes

tumblr_3c1788e2f5fc44b2bf2f82f030da5c95_853063e4_640

30 Likes

So, why does Brian Doyle Murray’s character say, “he’s not the groundhog!” Problems with the real groundhog’s agent?

Got not not?

5 Likes

It’s less heartwarming after one googles “Bill Murray” and “Smoking Gun”

1 Like

In case you missed it, there was a new VR game released just a few months ago. Considering it doesn’t seem to have gotten any attention, I doubt it’s much good - but then, I don’t hear too much about VR games in general.

I hope the musical comes around someday. Lyrics by Tim Minchin have got to give it legs.

As for the Super Bowl, the Wal-Mart ad is quite something. I suspect The Arrival was surely only dredged up out of a lack of options rather than for its cultural staying power, though.

3 Likes

Meh… it’s fine for an ad. Just thankful they didn’t bring Andy McDowell back. But I am very amazed these days at how good CGI is getting at splicing old characters with new shots. Almost totally seamless.

As for that Walmart ad, well that’s just horrible. And they must have spent even more for all those character right than even the insane price of Superbowl time slots.

It’s fine if you don’t like Andie MacDowell but no need to tell us about it and being too lazy to spell her name right is just even more lame.

9 Likes

Bill Murray - the only actor to costar with two gophers.

8 Likes

The groundhog has aged well

4 Likes

As @Jerry_Vandesic notes the line from that part of the movie is “He’s got the groundhog!” after Murray’s character absconds with the titular rodent.

2 Likes

This ad was enraging and is corporate white washing at it’s best:

5 Likes

Pictured: a small portion of the local shops put out of business by the arrival of a new Walmart.

8 Likes

Here’s what happens when Walmart decides to pack up the circus tent and leave town…

and what happens when towns try to recover…

7 Likes

Don’t worry, they’ll be back as soon as you find a way to start rebuilding your local economy in a generation or two!

Walmart is the economic equivalent of a plague of locusts.

9 Likes

Video killed the radio star. Internet has made retail iffy. Got to be careful what you get into when you have a small market. You only need so many coffee shops.

Man who has strong opinions about Pauly Shore seems upset I mildly dissed Andy MacDowell.

Hey, not the easiest name to spell off the top of my head either. I’m pleased I got that close the first time.