The bizarre 1976 Cat Stevens song and video, Banapple Gas

The best part was when Banapple Gas.

2 Likes

Someone wrote a book just a few years after the banana peel thing, and he said it was a deliberate scam. I can’t remember who. Now maybe it was someone claiming the work of others, but it was close to when the idea happened.

People were on the search. Trying to find legal things tgat worked. Morning Glory seeds were supposed to be hallucinogenic, if you took an awful lot, but watch out for the added coating that made them toxic. It was an odd time, LSD was legal until it wasn’t. So it’s easy to see someone trying to smoke a banana peel, or deliberately claiming it would work.

Wait, it maybe was “Sign of the Fool” by John Simon.

1 Like

I remember that! Oh, those innocent days.

1 Like

they definitely were. i know because i ate a bunch of the rare uncoated variety and had one of the worst nights of my life.

would you just look at this banapple? would you just look at it?

(my favorite part was when he assaulted the cop).

I found what I believe is my original early 90s Junior High copy of The Anarchist Cookbook in storage the other day. We tried the banana peel thing once. It didn’t work. :joy:

1 Like

I phrased it that way because I couldn’t remember. I know it gets mentioned in “Steal this Book”, but that’s on par with some guy promoting smoking banana peels.

On the other hand, I think it is listed in some “scolarly” book, likely Peter Staffords “Psychedelic s Encyclopedia”.

I first saw it mentioned in ‘The Hallucinogens’ by Hoffer & Osmond (from 1967), which qualifies as scholarly even without quotation marks.

For whatever reason, “banapple gas” reminds me of “pineapple pen”. Therefore, it is with sincere advance apologies that I throw this out there:

1 Like

3hvf9t

2 Likes

needs a banapple for scale

big talk from a guy who misspelled “Eraserhead” three times in a row.

1 Like

burrow owl, burrow owl

from the liner notes of the single. couldn’t find better quality, but not to worry; when I googled it, before I switched to images, the web results were all essay-copying sites so you can cheat at school. presumably some Dead Milkmen-head typed it out and uploaded it to one of those sites, and then the rest copied that one.
example:

1 Like

Oh fuck.

Well, we have our shortcomings; mine include self-proofreading.

[Thank you; I am obliged for the wry apprisal.]

2 Likes

This made me check Wikipedia, which says the idea was a hoax started by an underground paper.

But it mentions that the Anarchist Cookbook included the idea, without testing. And David Peel (with the Lower East Side), took his name from the hoax.

2 Likes

It’s “Ban Apple Gas”, actually.

2 Likes

So the Beatles were selling gas at the time?

I don’t remember any boycotts, but a few years earlier there was that oil shortage causing long lineups at gas stations, and lowered speed limits. The latter did get reaction.

I have and love that Cat Stevens album.

Don’t know what HE was thinking, but have always guessed the inspiration (literally) had something to do with learning that bananas are shipped unripe and then exposed to ethylene, and that was “trippy” to him. And metaphorical.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.