The bizarre Japanese beverage that solidifies in your gut

2 Likes

According to the manufacturer’s website, it doesn’t just turn into a gel, but the gel captures the CO2 bubbles, causing the gel to expand and making you feel full without having to eat or drink a lot.

I am not making any claims as to whether it works, but the expansion of the gel is important based on what the manufacturer is saying.

6 Likes

Pfft. Amateurs. Nothing says impacted bowels like whole sunflower seeds. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

It is disrespectful to Hunger…

5 Likes

Tansan (炭酸) actually means carbonic acid on its own, but it usually refers to “carbonated” because carbonic acid is a natural byproduct of the carbonation process.

You still need to add water (炭酸水, tansansui) for it to mean “carbonated water,” but “carbonated beverage” (炭酸飲料, tansan inryou) is more common for soft drinks.

6 Likes

Cool cool. Yea, I was trying to keep things simple. You went the extra mile! :+1:

5 Likes

So much of the English-language reporting about Japan is just a bit off, and it so often hinges on a single word.

In this case, as I mentioned above, the carbonation is key to understanding how the product purportedly works, so I thought it was worth clarifying.

6 Likes

…and water? Or you know, Special Flavorant (hard cider distillate)?

8 Likes

Or keeping with the Japan theme, eating edamame beans without bothering to remove them from the pod first :grimacing: - predictably I can’t find the link now, but they have caused impacted bowels for some people.

2 Likes

Reminds me of an Insta post I saw recently about this ramune drink:

Think it first released last year. If you want the jelly feel, shake vigorously and squeeze the bottle. It reminded some commenters of special gel drinks for people who are at risk of choking on pure unthickened liquids - I must track some down, for science!

1 Like

I was thinking maybe it was another use for this powder that solidifies uneaten ramen.

1 Like

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.