The bizarre Japanese beverage that solidifies in your gut

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/01/the-bizarre-japanese-beverage-that-solidifies-in-your-gut.html

6 Likes

No Thank You Reaction GIF

Ice Cream Reaction GIF by Arrow Video

16 Likes

If it turns to jelly, how long do the stomach acids take to dissolve it in order for it to pass from the stomach to the small intestine?

As an aside, not that it would get that far, but a bowel obstruction is among the more painful, horrible ways to die. It is also among the more painful ways to get admitted to hospital as an emergency. Don’t ask me how I know.

21 Likes

“It turns to jelly in your gut”, has a real Idiocracy vibe to it.

18 Likes

This sounds suspiciously like concrete.

13 Likes

Edward-G.-Robinson
(Can’t find a proper GIF.)

4 Likes

I mean even if it works without any adverse effects i do have to question if this is the way i would want to curb a craving.

1 Like

Reminds me of an incident in an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro once wolfed down a bucket of wet cement thinking that it was granny’s grits. (They solved that problem off-screen. I think granny needed to reach her arm down his throat or something )

5 Likes

Cheaper than a gastric band, I guess.

1 Like

It should be easy enough to test. Gastric fluid is basically Hydrochloric acid, a carbonate buffer solution and some peptides.

If it doesn’t thicken under those conditions, then myth busted.

5 Likes

“It’s got what guts crave!!”

9 Likes

Just going to leave this here: https://youtu.be/1MggKIfEld4?si=waD0iP7b31TDdvXA (Video title: A Student Drank 2 Liters Fiber Supplement For Dinner. This Is What Happened To His Intestines.)

7 Likes

If he wanted the biggest go of his life he could have just done a colonoscopy prep. If you reach the stage of clear going in causing clear to come out, it’s clean. I mean I have the pictures that prove it.

9 Likes

FYI the name of the drink is actually “IN Tansan” tansan in Japanese simply means carbonated water. Presumably the IN part means inside your body, intestines perhaps.

2 Likes

Electrolytes-1167163025

10 Likes

He did his own research.

(Narrator: he did no research. He was not a researcher. In fact, he was a congenital idiot.)

3 Likes

To chew the jelled beverage once it’s in your gut, just have a friend punch you in the stomach several times!

4 Likes

According the the label, the main ingredients (as translated by me) are Palatinose (from Germany), erythritol, salt, rice germ extract powder, carbon dioxide, flavoring, acidulant, thickener (sugar, sodium, alginate), stevia.

7 Likes

Oh boy, clog arteries as well as intestine.

4 Likes

If you wanted a solid food in your stomach, why wouldn’t you just eat solid food?
Japan has many tasty ones

6 Likes