The Black Cauldron

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/19/the-black-cauldron.html

6 Likes

For reasons now lost to me, we used to seek our colleagues for lunch with:

[The Horned King:] I presume, my boy, you are the keeper of this oracular pig?

Though we couldn’t do justice to John Hurt’s basso-profundo.

10 Likes

Never saw it. The original books were good though.

13 Likes

It’s a bit of a shame not to mention the source material for this movie. No matter how inept the movie, the Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander, is an exceptional kids’ fantasy series.

31 Likes

Loved the books. Couldn’t wait to see the movie, then it broke my heart. And not in a good way.

12 Likes

I actually watched this for the first time only about a month ago. It really does look like it should be amazing, but it’s just plain boring and dreary, with characters that you can’t connect with and a hurried, tossed-together story and an unintimidating villain (though admittedly he has a great voice). The best I can say about it is that it encouraged me to read the books again soon, which I haven’t done since sixth grade.

8 Likes

He would go on to produce iconic video games like this one:

22 Likes

I never watched the movie (I guess I should’ve while I was subbed to disney+) but I loved the Sierra adventure game that was based on the story. Went so far as to find it recently and try playing it again, huge disappointment… then again every game from that era that I have fond memories of is actually disappointing to play again for the most part =(

11 Likes

when i was a kid i used to go to every disney movie that was released with my grandmother who had seen snow white in theaters when it was first released. she didn’t like Black Cauldron at all. ha.

7 Likes

To note: The Black Cauldron did get featured in an attraction at Tokyo Disneyland as part of the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour. Sadly now replaced, but the Oriental Land Company gets the best things…

5 Likes

It’s a horrible adaptation. Just read the books again.

5 Likes

Not to be confused with The Black Hole which also took a long time to make, was the most expensive Disney movie ever made at the time but got tepid reviews and grossed a disappointing $35 Million at the box office.

I think The Black Stallion was probably the only film produced in the late 70s to survive the curse of that title structure.

16 Likes

I always admired his animation but hated his storytelling. Never got to play any of his video games though.

8 Likes

I think his films have aged far better than his games.

7 Likes

I’m waiting for the Snyder Cut.

7 Likes

Not the Dark Tower!

s-l400

15 Likes

Apparently there’s a sequel to the Dark Tower board game due out next year. Nostalgiaville

5 Likes

For some reason I had this completely confused with The Dark Crystal. I was thinking, “1985? Don Bluth? What the hell?”

8 Likes

No arguments here. Dragon’s Lair (and the related Space Ace) may be iconic and important, but definitely not good.

10 Likes

Dragon’s Lair was the game that my friends and I always looked at and watched others play (very poorly - because no one seemed to be able to figure out the controls well), but never played more than once because it was more expensive than other games and looked like it would take at least $20 to win.

16 Likes