The Black Hole's V.I.N. CENT and B.O.B. action figures

Actually this was the first PG-rated movie from Disney.

2 Likes

871a7c3f-23e3-4876-a4b4-1bfd143e02f2_text1

Such a great cast. And the very last but, that should totally happen IRL.

The Black Hole is one of those movies I re-visit from time to time, skipping (thanks to modern AV gear) through the good bits.

1 Like

Back to the Future, one of the best ever made, would have flopped if Eric Stoltz kept his role as Marty, Doc Brown’s dog Einstein was a pet chimpanzee, and the delorean time machine was a refrigerator.

Sooo…
There was brilliant visual design in The Black Hole, I think a couple of story and actor changes could have put this movie into a classic.

3 Likes

It was really hard to be an SF fan in the late 70s/early 80s. George Lucas & ILM showed the world that there was a huge market for well made SF films, and Hollywood’s reaction was to fire up the studios for a torrent of dumbed down trash.

I was a little tyke when The Black Hole came out. My aunt took me to see it and I cried when B.O.B. dies- she felt terrible. Then I asked to see it the next day and the day after that. I understand the movie has many flaws, but I still love it. I saw the V.I.N.C.E.N.T. and B.O.B. set last year and bought it immediately, then soon after found Maximillian to hover menacingly behind them. Good times.

2 Likes

One of the greatest hurdle modern screenwriters and contemporary novelists have to conquer is the proliferation of cellphones. So many brilliant old movies couldn’t be made today because every character would carry a portable cellphone/camera/internet connection in their pocket.

1 Like

Ah yes, Star Wars, the film of ideas.

i rewatched that a couple of years back, and wow but the casual racism and misogyny. it’s rough. my partner and i had meant to watch all three, but by the end of the second one - both of us in full cringe - we found other uses for our time

doc’s still great, and michael j fox as marty. but they live better in memory than on screen for me

That must explain it. I never saw the film when it came out but I remembered it being a “big hit” at the time. Back around 2001 it came on one of the movie channels so I had the family all sit down and watch it together. When it ended I looked at the rest of my family and apologized. I had no idea it would be so bad.

I guess I waited too long to see it.

:laughing:

3 Likes

Loved it then, still love it now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.