The brains of ballet dancers 'adapt to spins'

[Permalink]

I could benefit from some of that, as when practicing ice skating I get dizzy doing russian circles (basically: skate fast around the faceoff circles).

I wonder if the researchers would get similar results testing professional athletes from various sports where spinning the head is common… football, hockey, maybe even motorcyle racing?

Brains of ALL dancers adjust. (And hopefully, skaters!) The way it is taught in Ballroom is that you make the moves incredibly slowly, over and over, spotting as you go. Eventually, you can do it faster and faster and more and more times. Your brain learns not to react to the sloshing, probably very similar to the way we learned to walk without wobblng and falling down. (Heh - weebles!)

Most I’ve ever hit, though, was 42. At that point, the fluid sloshing around in your inner ear gets its way. I MIGHT be possible to overcome it…but, why would you?

Can’t think why people in those other sports would need it…but maybe gymnasts? Could be useful to handle more spins on balance beam or floor exercises…

While it is very cool that we are learning how this particular change happens and may be able to use it to help people, the structure of you brain changes every single time you learn anything, or think any thought, really.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.