The brewing crisis over the pile of poo emoji

WHAT THE HECK THEY ALSO CLAIM THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BAGEL AND A DONUT.

These poor folks have been staring at emojis for too long.

3 Likes

Further down, in a grouchy exchange about dress shoes: “Clothing does not have gender, people can wear any kind of shoe they like.” I feel like the second half is true and the first half is a bit silly.

Do they not, or are they using country modifiers to change “toroidal baked good”, like TOROIDAL_BAKED_GOOD ZWJ FLAG_IL is a bagel and TOROIDAL_BAKED_GOOD ZWJ FLAG_US is a donut? Kinda like how DUMPLING can be a dumpling or ravioli depending on theoretical country markers.

3 Likes

I hope we get pile of poo’s representing the full diversity of shit. Free floaters, sheep shit, deer droppings, damn diarrhea, typhoid turd and the like are all in the pipeline, I presume?

2 Likes

put a trump wig on it, problem solved.

4 Likes

And also different colors. What if you ate beets the day before?

4 Likes

Our species is fucking doomed.

5 Likes

This sort of elitism actively makes the world worse.

1 Like

It is disappointing that the poo emoji doesn’t have various color options as most emoji s have.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I came here to say. There should be a defined algebra for combining emoji, so that you can have a train facing right or left, or a crying poo wearing a Santa hat. This could be implemented completely outside of Unicode, like with ligatures, although one or two control codes would be helpful, e.g. to manage how composite emoji appear on devices that don’t support them.

I’m sure the Unicode people don’t like control codes, and want their standard to cover every possible symbol explicitly, but they won’t have any time or dignity left if they try to maintain control over every single emojum.

3 Likes

Really, in a perfect world there’d be separate codes for eyes, mouth, add-ons, etc., that you could lay over whatever symbol. Basically Mr. Emoji Head.

3 Likes

iPhone X animated talking poop.

2 Likes

This is just a rehash of the defecating ibis hieroglyph controversy that rocked the foundations of Egyptian society circa 3000 BCE.

6 Likes

Strictly speaking, this could be done in Unicode already with combining marks, the way they used to with letters + diacritics. Of course, in practice that led to various subtle problems of typography and security.

I’m already dreading the day when someone asks, “wait, why can’t I just make a string of emojis my web URI”? I can already here future me, out there somewhere, screaming so hard that it pierces causality.

2 Likes

That’s how Apple (standardly?) implements emoji skin color – it combines a color swatch with a face using the existing zero-width joining character designed for use with scripts whose letters may or may not join up to adjacent letters. Clients that don’t support that convention will just show the swatch and then a face.

The reason I’m imagining a new control character is that it’s unrealistic to expect all clients to support all possible combinations of even two emoji, let alone three or more, so it would be good if you could explicitly specify what to display as a fallback (i.e. display only the first emoji, or display them all, or display a completely different character, or none). Though, older clients would still display all the component characters, and there’s no way round that because existing Unicode doesn’t provide a way to suppress the display of characters (it includes the ASCII backspace character, but does not define it to mean “remove the previous character from the string”).

You know, if there’s one thing I’ve learnt from being in the Army, it’s never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed… by pooh-pooh!

3 Likes

I have bad news for you, then.

1 Like

http://www.1clickemoji.com/Search/?order=newest&q=excrescence

“PILE OF POO WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH”

170822235920-08-trump-phoenix-0822-large-169

4 Likes

I know right? we could at least use a “surprised poo” and a “crying poo” just sayin…

Emoji urls have been around a while.