"The Buildings are Barking": Cartoonist Bill Griffith's haunting graphic eulogy to his cartoonist wife, Diane Noomin

Originally published at: "The Buildings are Barking": Cartoonist Bill Griffith's haunting graphic eulogy to his cartoonist wife, Diane Noomin | Boing Boing

6 Likes

God, that’s hard. The grief is just raging off the page.

5 Likes

I just had a comparatively minor brush with grief when my beloved golden retriever of 12 years, Cooper, was diagnosed with cancer last Friday night and we had to put him down. I’m still not over it, though at least I’m not constantly crying any more. To lose my wife for whom I live every day in awe and joy at her presence in my life, wondering what I did right to deserve her? I can’t even imagine how that would feel and I’m not sure I could read this work without it crushing me.

5 Likes

Years ago at diff times I sent Mr Griffith a couple things I thought he’d enjoy: The Sunshine Makers video, and a set of dishes with classic diner scenes I said I thought Zippy would love. He took the time to thank me, let me know he did very much enjoy both, and that it had been ages since he’d seen The Sunshine Makers at various trippy '60s San Francisco shows and was happy to see it again.

Having spent much of my life grieving, I can honestly say that grief is one of the nastiest substances in the Universe; it’s right up there with fear.

May Mr Griffith quickly receive all needed healing.

5 Likes

All healing to you and yours, Cepheus. Pets are often more than family, more than friends, and losing them mightily sucks.

5 Likes

Thanks so much. He really was the Best Boy, and my best friend (after my wife of course).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.