The Cameraman's Revenge is a stop motion animation featuring real (dead) insects from (1912)

Originally published at: The Cameraman's Revenge is a stop motion animation featuring real (dead) insects from (1912) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Thats amazing for the time, hell it’s pretty amazing still. How did he manage all that buggery with old stiff dead bugs. I’ve seen worse acting skills in recent movies too so good job on casting.

2 Likes

This was great! 10 yo me was tickled pink!

The insects look recently deceased. There are at least 2 different grasshoppers playing the cameraman. I’m not nearly as attuned to differences in beetles so didn’t notice whether the same ones are used throughout.

1 Like

Such a great film.

Starevich’s skills improved markedly over the years:

A great film, but these are actually very detailed puppets several inches tall. Vladislav Starevich, the animator, was making a nature film in 1910 of male stag beetles fighting over a female. They froze whenever he turned his lights on them. So he used beetle carcasses with wired joints to simulare the action. His subsequent films used insect and animal puppets. This film is likely the first to depict characters watching films of themselves.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.