The Cheerble Ball is a smart interactive toy that'll keep your cat on its toes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/25/the-cheerble-ball-is-a-smart-interactive-toy-thatll-keep-your-cat-on-its-toes.html

1 Like

5 Likes

None of the older cats looked at all impressed; the kittens were intrigued, but kittens also think a wad of paper (much less expensive) is a fine toy. Shoots, many older cats too.

3 Likes
2 Likes

the thing is, at tennis ball size, that’s too big for our cats. they like things small, that they can sometimes carry. ping-pong ball size would be better. i think something tennis-ball sized that moves unpredictably would scare them more than entice them.

5 Likes

Give it a replaceable sponge-foam outer coating for tactile feel and to mitigate noise, make it golf ball-sized for cats, and you might have a sale.

2 Likes

Judging by the picture, it’s not even close to the size of a tennis ball.

1 Like

well, that’s what the article said, so i went with that.

1 Like

Seemed to ram full speed into the wall. Wonder how it avoids knocking things down.

My cat Pop Tart not only plays with tennis balls, he literally tears them apart. I don’t know how, I’ve never seen him do it, but I leave one with him in the morning and when I come home that night it’s in two or three pieces on the floor. After he does this he sits and stares at me with this look that says, “Go on, go to sleep. I dare you.”**

5 Likes

Amazon is sold out. Either this means the craze is over. Or it’s in full spate and we can make a quick killing. Oh, right, BBS, carry on.

We got a large, floppy cloth gift bag (with gift inside) from amazon as a christmas present. Our two cats think that bag is the complete shizzle. One cat can get inside and be “completely invisible” (disregard the bag’s random movement), while the other can either attack the bag, scamper past it, or poke its head inside and be denied access. Sometimes they just lay on it like a cat bed. It’s three months later and it still gets regular abuse.

2 Likes

DAMN, that’s one strong kitty!

1 Like

My genius wife makes the best cat toys.

When our cats destroyed their plastic cat tunnel they received as a gift, she took a cheap laundry basket–the kind that collapses like a windshield sun shade–and cut a hole in the bottom. Best cat tunnel ever! And we can fold it up when company comes over.

Our older kitties like what we call close play. They settle in next to one of us, we wag a finger (or pencil) in front of them, and they swat and grab and give it little nibbles. It’s more than just hunting play, it’s a way of bonding. They’re very gentle, and the claws don’t come out, but sometimes you get nicked anyway.

My wife took some silicone drinking straws and attached silicone twist ties to one end. Twist the straw–which keeps your hands just out of swipe range–and the cable tie dances before the kitty. When they catch it, they can gnaw on it. It’s all food-safe grade silicone, and their remaining teeth aren’t sharp enough to actually cut into it. Send them through the dishwasher every now and then to rinse off the cat spit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.