The Chinese company that bought Grindr wasn't supposed to let Chinese engineers access Americans' data -- but it did

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/26/beijing-kunlun-tech-co-ltd.html

2 Likes

1ymvbd

20 Likes

The commies have compromised our privates!

4 Likes

Blackmail of US Gov employees beginning in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 …

18 Likes

Of course they’ll sell it in 2020. That’s plenty of time to make a copy of the database. Then they won’t need the company anymore. The trove of years of data is far more valuable to the Chinese government than the future revenue stream—especially since that will probably dry up as soon as word of the acquisition spreads.

6 Likes

You just can’t buy kompromat like that. Oh wait, they did.

5 Likes

That’s how we do it.
For example:

This is something that has long been an unrecognized problem. If the government wants your email and your business or university has Microsoft or Gmail host email for them, the tech giants will get and respond to a law enforcement request, not the entity that might make privilege or First Amendment legal challenges to the subpoena. For example, the government would have gotten Xiaoxiang Xi and Ally Watkins’ Temple University email from Google, not the University, preventing both from making a First Amendment challenge to the warrant.
Microsoft sued over the sheer number of gags on such subpoenas in 2016; few people realized that they were concerned primarily about businesses like Trump Organization, not individual customers.
The FBI Went to Microsoft, not Trump Organization, for Emails Incriminating Individual-1 - emptywheel

9 Likes

Barn doors and horses.

4 Likes

What if I only made a Grindr profile for a friend?

5 Likes

I was just hoping they’d release Pence’s account for fun, but… yeah. I see there’s money to be made instead.

2 Likes

I need this for my diagram of public-private-glam-slam mutual key swallowing which I am going to use to rent all the kingdoms at once…ironically making TicToc worth its estimated $B27. Was going to thrill a moment at Strategic Pride Reserve, grab a Rex Tillerson supercut of him (sped up 10x or so, I think,) claiming we know enough already but are always ready to be fluid. [Coming in off the cryptography-banning legislation thread, apologies wherever effective safe apologies are needed.]

1 Like

I can’t tell if I need to be more high or you need to be less high… or maybe both?

5 Likes

1 Like

Time for us to grow-up - Private data has gone the way of the dodo, unicorns, and frog hairs. It is extinct, or perhaps never was. Now we have data.

It is just a matter of time before my mammogram shows up on your Instagram… (And a propolaytic fuck-you, they actually are B-cups)

1 Like

I’ll see your mammogram (rhetorically), and raise you a colonoscopy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.