The Clash gives a thumbs up to a Ukrainian resistance version of "London Calling"

No, they just outright killed them between 1938 and 1945…

Sure Jan GIF

Just pointing out the violence of supposedly “free” Europe against people of color, and not once defending the violence of the SU…

3 Likes

Choose choice 3?

Yes, there were Makhnovists who were still around in 1942, acting as a resistance movement.

Nestor Makhno is a Ukrainian national hero, one who seems to be ignored by the western mainstream press and tankies. He didn’t earn the nickname Bat’ko (little father) for no reason.

11 Likes

told you so agree GIF by Bounce

5 Likes

Roosevelt and Churchill glancing over at Stalin…

Poland was invaded by both the USSR and Germany in the 1939s. The Polish Army was fighting on two fronts, and later the Home Army (underground) ran operations against both the Soviets and the Nazis during WWII. Even during WWII when the Soviets were supposed to be fighting the Nazis, they did so at the expense of the Poles. The famous example was the Battle of Warsaw where the basically sat back and did nothing while the Nazis leveled the city. My exMother in Law told stories where, as a baby her and her mom were avoiding both Soviet and Nazi shelling.

As this happened, they managed a government-in-exile and mounted a resistance that didn’t rely on either fascism or communism (though I am sure digging deeper into the history, one could find examples of those factions on the Home Army),

And while one could logically excuse the use of these groups to fight invaders, it shows that 1) there were more than two options for resistance, and 2) when choosing who to admire and use as a symbol today, it is poor judgement to use fascists as a symbol of resistance (though if one is a fascists then we know why one would).

And bit of history repeating. When looking up on wiki to make sure I had the year right, I found this: “Soviet propaganda appealing to Ukrainian peasants in Eastern Poland.”

1 Like

Fukkin nazis. The place* is lousy with 'em: Billy Bragg calls out Ukrainian band who covered The Clash over far-right imagery?

(*meaning the entire fekking world)

1 Like

The country isn’t RUN by fascists, though, which is what matters overall right now - Russia IS run by fascists, of that there is no doubt. There isn’t a single country that doesn’t have a problem with nazis, including our own. :woman_shrugging: Not that I begrudge Billy Bragg for calling these guys out for it, but saying that Ukraine is “lousy” with nazis is a Russian talking point and one of their justifications for the invasion.

7 Likes

I came back to clarify. I meant the entire fekkin earth is lousy with them. They’re popping up in the worst places at the worst time.

I grew up in the 90’s in Alberta Canada and we had a hell of a problem with the cockroaches then. Much of it ended up in a book called Web of Hate by Warren Kinsella.

So yeah, to be clear, I wasn’t saying Ukraine was lousy with nazi scum… the whole world is.

2 Likes

THAT is entirely true.

Always punch nazis.

resist richard spencer GIF by nehahalol

2 Likes

Yes, the only “choice” was to be in another country. (Or join a splinter partisan group opposed to both Nazis and Communists?)

That’s a “choice” available to the very few.

1 Like

When they kick in your front door :musical_note:

Always punch nazis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.