The coming era of Glass

And a support center will help with this issue exactly HOW?

A compensation of a disability with a wearable (or, even better, implanted) electronics is superior to any kind of ongoing third-party maintenance. As a social outcast anyway, I will not, repeat NOT, give up the potential advantages just because somebody says I should, without offering anything of similar value to compensate. And if you will attempt to punch me for that, you’ll get a faceful of pepper spray in a legitimate and perhaps even legal self-defense. Offer something positive in exchange and I may consider a negotiation.

Sorry for the confrontational tone but I am waiting for this kind of tech for decades. For both the compensation of cognitive issues with people, enhanced spatial awareness, and realtime connection to data feeds (and, in workshop setting, better interconnection with the machines). I will not take any respects to a bunch of luddites who insist on standing in the way. Judging from the amount of augmented reality stuff - and way better than Google’s - emerging on both Kickstarter and trade shows, you cannot stop it anyway.

There was a social outrage against cellphones. They are now the norm. Against bluetooth earpieces; a norm now. Against cellphone cameras; a norm now. Now we’re getting the same with yet another tech; tomorrow it will be the norm again.

re:support center

i don’t think a support center can help, technologically, with this shit. i think a real support community is more well equipped, but i was assuming that you were baiting. sorry for that.

i don’t have sight or recognition problems. or any specific issues that glass would help with. so, this is coming from someone who, though an ally, does not purport to have the capability to understand the myriad of obstacles there. at the same time, i do have close friends that i interact with daily who have severe sight problems or mobility problems, or problems with coherently interacting with people in a “normal” way. i’m one of them too. a lot of disabled folks are (historical) King Ludd supporters (because he doesn’t actually exist, just like we don’t) but that is a crazy tangent.

i’m not opposed to the way that glass’ functionality can help people. i’m glad to hear that there’s better tech in the pipe cuz glass sounds like shitty alpha tech anyway. i’m sure that friends of mine got the hot tip on that shit. usually, people that form communities, help each other out, and recognize how their struggles intersect are not looked upon kindly by law enforcement, etc. once they find a bit of collective power. a whole fuckin lotta times, they and their friends end up being actively surveilled (actually true, details irrelevant, but understand my google rage here!)

that is specifically why i feel the urge to punch someone who’s wearing google glass and to create a culture in which google glass and surveillance culture is NOT OK. because it literally physically effects the support networks of people who have no one to rely on but one another.

i appreciate you coming at me with real shit. i sure wasn’t making any good faith effort. fucking solidarity shaddack

1 Like

Except in this case, they actually do just look like clunky frames for glasses without the lenses. two bits of glass would improve their appearance immeasurably. I think the real turning point with people not making fun of those with glasses came when a) frames started to follow fashion and b) contact lenses made glasses at least be seen as optional.

I’m sorry, PKD? Are you referring to Philip K. Dick? The scifi author? The characters in a work of fiction do not count as evidence of anything. Please explain why you think someone who seeks to integrate technology with themselves as violent. There are plenty of cyborgs that already exist, cochlear implants, artificial organs, and prosthetics are all examples of people who make up for their disabilities or injuries by integrating technology with their bodies. You can’t possibly tell me that they’re all violent.

I’m against consensual surveillance as much as the next internet denizen, but augmented reality headsets aren’t a big deal. At least no more than smartphones already are. In the case of surveillance, the problem isn’t the technology, it’s the institutions funded by our own taxes that are invading our technology in the name of the national security.

Agreement here.

We cannot just give up the power of augmented reality, and computer-augmentation in general. What I believe we should push for is avoiding the “cloud”, namely avoiding streaming data for offsite processing by third parties. Local processing should be preferred, even if it means external batteries. This does not address local recording issues, though, but that cuts both ways.

Luckily, live streaming can be detectable by analysis of the RF emissions of the device; constant stream of packets (with lower-tech (diode detector) manifesting just as carrier wave bursts) with certain size/timing characteristics will tell that with fair reliability.

I wonder if it would be possible to armor mobile devices with hardware/software detecting anomalies in its behavior, so an external compromise (e.g. the NSA software toys they have) would show up. Every such device would act as a “honeypot” - compromisable, but the compromise leaves traces and logs that can be analyzed and the device then can be “recruited as a double agent”, for feeding the adversary with false intel. Even the existence of such tech could deter the adversary from using remote exploits, from fear they’d get detected. (Does not help against conventional analysis of communication patterns, using email/phone data, which reveal the group topology and activity fairly well. This is however a threat not directly relevant to wearable electronics.)

The higher danger of surveillance by The Authorities lies in HUMINT; namely, in recruitment of agents from in-group or in infiltration of the group by police, and the resulting abuses of trust-relations. The affairs of British police vs environmental activists are well-documented, including an agent fathering a child with an activist.

Here is where technology acts not only as a threat but also as an equalizer. As it happened in Britain, occasionally the attempts to recruit an insider are recorded by said insider and then published. Photographs from the group settings can, when confronted with other groups from other time, yield intel about suspicious individuals (good infiltrating agents are a rare resource and have to be recycled; this may force them to be single-use at best). Then there are cases where cellphone videos from bystanders served as evidence that a cop lied (and said cop, instead of successfully pressing charges, got charged himself - see e.g. the older case of cop vs cyclist from some bike ride from I think NYC).

And then there are times, usually when things are actually happening, when live streaming (even, and perhaps especially, to third parties) can be a great benefit; a cop or other authority figure can ask you to erase pictures (which can be later recovered from the SD card using forensics tools), or seize the recording equipment together with data, but their power about data already saved on a third party server, possibly in a different jurisdiction, is, to say it euphemistically, greatly limited. Such recordings cannot mysteriously vanish or the cameras becoming “out of order”, as it happens when police-controlled hardware records authority misconducts. The keyword here is “sousveillance”.

The tech cuts both ways.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.