The cops who shot a homeless man have been charged with murder

Indeed.

The indictment is an amazing thing in and of itself.

A conviction would be even better.

A sentence commensurate with the crime might qualify as a miracle.

1 Like

There are differences between mentally ill, malevolent, and negligent. They’ve nailed the last one, based on what we see here; a good case can be made for the second; and the first… never even enters the picture.

Because after all, if they were mentally ill, some other yahoo out there would demand that we feel compassion for them, too, and that’s a huge, dehumanising ask.

No, the solution to state sanctioned murder is not more state sanctioned murder.

2 Likes

The above are is the only two sentences part of your post with which I disagree. Everything else is spot-on, IMO.

Edit to clarify: I do not challenge that Arizona still has the death penalty, but rather that the solution would be to apply it to cops (or anyone).

3 Likes

Strongly disagreed. I think execution is inhumane (some might say that prisons are too, but they aren’t if they’re done right) and belongs in the 19th century. Most countries have done away with it completely; I wish the US would too.

I do, however, completely agree that cops who commit violent crimes should be punished more severely than regular citizens. Meaning longer sentences. Of course, the problem is that they aren’t being prosecuted at all to begin with. Maybe we (meaning you, I’m not American) should start there.

1 Like

In the US cop killers and even more so prison guard killers get solitary sometimes for life.
The longest solitary prisoner, a prison murderer and armed robber, fought with and killed a guard, I think SCOTUS supported his cruel and unusual punishment as they did when they banned all other death penalties in order to protect police officers and prison guards. The SCOTUS has repeatedly denied equal protection under the law when there is a citizen to police(agent of the state/people) violent interaction.

I no longer support death penalty, especially in the US overcharge and plea bargain justice system, or solitary; but I imagine the prison staff will have their pal the convicted cop in the break room or warden’s office watching football games, not in the general population, and never in punitive lockdown.

2 Likes

Bad Cops…Moriemini…

I really wish that’s not the case, but it probably is. You know, for “protection” - something the convicted cop should know something about, though I think they’ve dropped all that and just go with “In Gun We Trust”. But instead of making prisoners suffer (solitary is torture), I think all prisoners should be able to be watching football games and in greneral, have a more humane prison system. It helps reduce the occurence of repeat offenders, too, so what’s the downside?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.