The Cousin Explainer is very helpful

I have Martin cousins in Arkansas (near Hot Springs). We might be single cousins nth removed

2 Likes

I think in Appalachia this is defined as “a sibling.”

If there is any trait that defines remote and isolated Appalachian communities, it is their respect for state and federal law…

7 Likes

Neat! I’m not actually sure where my dad’s dad is from - my paternal grandfather was an abusive piece of shit in whom I have no interest :slight_smile:

That said, I like my dad & his siblings - we’re from around Fayetteville/Prairie Grove, AR.

The “double cousins” are actually from my mom & stepdad.

My dad was from Garfield, Arkansas (pop. 63 and I had no idea where most of them were). His mother^s last name was different from his and it just got odder from there.

2 Likes

My mom (born in Puerto Rico) once explained to me (I gather, at least within her side of the family) that our female cousins are also called “second sisters”. (Sounds endearing. I’m guessing that sobriquet is driven by significant interaction between said cousins.) Anyone out there who can verify that tidbit as actually being part of the Hispanic culture?

1 Like

I am an only grandchild on both sides. I have no cousins.

2 Likes

This is also called a consanguinity table.

4 Likes

My genealogist cousin uses it a lot, because many ancestors came from small towns where the dating pool was probably limited. So, the brother or sister of an in-law was a good option, I guess.

2 Likes

There’s usually a lot of overlap in the Venn diagram for “places that feel the need to explicitly outlaw a thing” and “places where a thing is common enough to need outlawing.”

9 Likes

If you marry your cousin in a state where it’s legal, and move to a state where it’s not, what happens? Does your new state of residence have to recognise your marriage anyway, under the “full faith and credit” clause? Or, if you’ve moved to Kentucky, can you be prosecuted for having sex with your spouse?

Also:

Doesn’t necessarily invalidate the stereotype. Sometimes things are outlawed specifically because they’ve become a big enough problem.

4 Likes

In the U.S. at least, the term “First Cousin”, though absolutely correct, really isn’t commonly used. We simply refer to said folks as “cousins”. Only Second and higher order cousins get ascribed the more formal labels.

We really ought to switch to a less-wordy, numeric notation and use something like cousin², cousin³, 1 x cousin°

1 Like

My little town didn’t have a population figure, since it could easily halve or double in a year. Also, it was spelled differently on the sign and the local volunteer fire station.

3 Likes

I utilize a more concise relationship nomenclature:

• Grandparents
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • First cousins
  • Strangers
6 Likes

First thing I looked for. Am disappoint.

2 Likes

Hang on, wasn’t Fry supposed to be his own grandfather?

1 Like

So my cousin’s kid is the first cousin once removed of both me and my kids?

Some cultures have a bunch of different words that all mean “aunt” or “uncle” in English, but in the local language tell you exactly where they go on this chart.

1 Like

That’s what the graphic shows.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s been my thought too. I moved to Kentucky because my wife is from there. I joke she married me to get new genes in the family. She doesn’t like the joke but I can’t recall her ever refuting it either.

2 Likes