The Cousin Explainer is very helpful

Did she really need to refute it?

1 Like

I tease my in-laws about Kentucky being famous for incest. But in truth, I think there might have been a time long ago when cousins married, but nowadays it’s extremely taboo in Kentucky. In a sort of a “FU everyone for looking down on us!” sort of thing.

As for your other questions, they are sort of answered in the table. For Kentucky, in order: unknown, probably (otherwise, how can you criminalize it), and yes.

For the sake of our kids, I kind of wish she would!

1 Like

We need a chart for East Peck

Nope. This chart is a bit confusing with the focus on the relationships to the box labeled YOU and descendants of most of the other relatives in the tree. Basically, “removed” means the two relatives are not in the same generation. Your cousin’s kids and your kids are second cousins.

To your cousin’s kids, you are a first cousin once removed. The same can be said by your kids about your cousin. Each generation up or down the tree adds to how far removed from people of the same generation. For example, my grandmother’s cousins are my first cousins twice removed.

4 Likes

“Cousins Chart”. Or as they call it in the Royal Family, your “Dating Pool”.

5 Likes

It’s also missing “country cousin” :wink:

two of my great-great uncles were twins. they married a pair of twin sisters. their children were double first cousins. their childhood photos showed a remarkable similarity but by the time i knew them as my elderly first cousins twice removed most of the close resemblance had passed, as did they not too long after that.

you have no first cousins. unless all of your grandparents were only children or their siblings never reproduced, you almost certainly have some 2nd, 3rd, or 4th cousins or other cousins at some remove.

edited to clarify the relationships of the twins to me.

3 Likes

I qualify for membership in The Mayflower Society, as do 30 million others, so, yeah, you caught me. I have cousins. Not to mention we all have a common ancestor.

2 Likes

Found this color-coded version somewhere on the 'net a few years ago, I think it’s a little clearer

3 Likes

I’ll see that and raise with:
My mom and her older brother married a set of double cousins. (Making the double cousins also siblings in-law, and the kids confused. :hugs:)

3 Likes

Apropos…

1 Like

Thanks! For the first time in my life I finally understand what “X removed” actually means!

2 Likes

With a chart of that depth you should probably be able to find one person who has done something worthwhile with his/her life.

Could be a reference to the old folk song “I’m my own grandpa?”

Over fifty comments and no one posted it yet?

Here’s the text of this little gem for all my video-haters out there:

8 Likes

Hey, I resent resemble that meme…*

*(the family tree merges)

Tennessee. And, yeah, it wasn’t a Jerry Lee Lewis-type of situation. My dad’s last name, and my mom’s mom’s maiden name, are the same, but it’s also a somewhat common name in that area so it didn’t raise any red flags. They figured it out years later.

My wife’s from Ethiopia (where, IIRC, they’re supposed to be able to count back 5 or 6 generations before marrying), so I guess that partially undid the merging that my side brought to the table.

I got a headache before I finished the rest and my brain went here:

(@Bunbain beat me to it, but this is the version I’m familiar with)

EDIT: Why do I imagine The Cousin Explainer as the title of a stag film?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.