The creative mind of Guillermo Del Toro

Originally published at: The creative mind of Guillermo Del Toro | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Pacific Rim

Truly awful series of movies.

3 Likes

There is little sense in talking about it as a “series”. The original, directed by Del Toro, is quite good for an action movie but lacks the deeper meaning that his better films have. The sequel is directed by TV director Steven DeKnight and is completely awful though.

2 Likes

I never watched the sequel but, while not exactly “high art,” the original was unpretentious and delivered on exactly what it promised: giant robots punching the crap out of giant monsters. Plus the Ron Perlman character was silly fun.

10 Likes

I’ll watch 2 hours of Ron eating or whatever, he’s one of my favs.

5 Likes

What about being eaten?

6 Likes

I have no idea if Mr. Del Toro is interested in doing a Marvel film, but in my mind I can see him doing weird and wonderful things with Man-Thing. In the Florida swamp, with demons or monsters, maybe Damien Hellstrom, maybe Howard the Duck shows up!

On screen 2 in my mind, Robert Rodriguez has made a Ghost Rider movie!

2 Likes

This one is worth watching if you love Del Toro:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the first one, it’s what I go to the cinema for; completely escapist fun that entertains without me having to analyse every scene looking for the subtext. Giant robots kicking monster ass - what’s not to like?
Plus, Ron Pearlman and Idris Elba!
As far as del Toro movies are concerned, I haven’t watched that many, Pan’s Labyrinth was an astonishing piece of work, parts of which I found too disturbing to ever want to watch it again - in those parts it was the humans who were the real monsters.
I’m also still waiting for his adaptation of HP Lovecraft, too; I don’t think there’s another director who could really make a film version work successfully.

2 Likes

Are we talking about Del Toro’s monsters so we can ignore the hatchet job he did to Nightmare Alley?

I’m still irrationally angry about his take on Nightmare Alley. Just go watch the 1947 version. It’s got a few problems, but it’s a classic.

And how does someone watch Joan Blondell’s performance in the original and then come to the conclusion that Toni Collette needed to give Bradley Cooper a hand job in a bathtub?

You are Myra Breckinridge and I claim my five pounds!

I haven’t seen Myra Breckinridge, so I don’t get the joke. But after reading the the first couple of paragraphs of the Wikipedia article I think I know what I’m watching tonight.

Based on Gore Vidal’s novel and " has been cited as one of the worst films ever made." That sort of garbage sounds right up my alley.

1 Like

I was referencing the book more than the movie. In the book, Myra greatly prefers older Hollywood films and can be quite vulgar about it (and other things).

What about the low-budget version?

(Although at least there’s a good MST3K version of this one.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.