There is no shocking thing in this trailer for the new Guillermo del Toro movie

Originally published at: There is no shocking thing in this trailer for the new Guillermo del Toro movie | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Definitely on my list. It feels like a nice and dirty neo-noir.

5 Likes

This movie is proof positive that you can gather great talent and still make a complete turkey of a movie.

Bradley Cooper always challenges my suspension of disbelief, but it may be Guillermo Del Toro’s greatest sleight of hand yet that he seems to actually be a character in this movie that I could watch as just…a character in a movie.

2 Likes

Well people are the real monsters, after all

10 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of this movie but from the preview it seems to be either a remake of the Tyrone Power film of the same name, or very similar.
Also: Toni Collette? Great! Cate Blanchette? Wonderful. Looking forward to this one. I’ll tolerate Cooper.

6 Likes

del Toro says it is his own interpretation of the source novel.

4 Likes

Yeah, what is it about that guy? He seems affable and talented, I guess, but ugh. Honestly, when he made American Sniper I put him into my James Woods (but not as crazy) vault of assholes I won’t even bother with.

3 Likes

badley cooper curlers am hustle

Playing a former carny could be a fun role for him. Sounds creepy. But not as creepy dark as Álex de la Iglesia’s film The Last Circus.

2 Likes

Yeah, but will he geek?

5 Likes

Just finished the book --actually had no idea a movie was being filmed when I picked it up. Really good book.

3 Likes

Actually a reboot. Tyrone Power starred in the first one.

3 Likes

You had me at Richard Jenkins.

2 Likes

Looks like in both movies they kind of glitzed it up: the women are vamps and the carnival is far more prosperous. It was a down-at-the-heels carny catering to Midwestern “rubes” in the book.

3 Likes

He’s given as convincing a performance as a talking, gun-wielding space raccoon as any actor I’ve seen.

9 Likes

Oscars Hollywood GIF by The Academy Awards

2 Likes

“Visual medium emphasizes visuals. Film at 11 (now in HD!)”

2 Likes

Like a few folks on here, I read the book recently, and it’s haunting. Really sticks with you. Saw the Ty Power movie recently on TCM. It’s very good, but doesn’t quite capture the queasy feel of the book.

Also like some folks here, I find Cooper inexplicably unappealing. But I feel that way about a lot of actors.

1 Like

So far he has done no wrong in my book. Del Toro I mean.

As for Mr. Cooper, I thought he was very good in Silver Linings Playbook.

2 Likes