Disney's live-action Pinocchio trailer is here

Originally published at: Disney's live-action Pinocchio trailer is here | Boing Boing

2 Likes

On the plus side we’re also getting a creepy Guillermo Del Toro version soon:

14 Likes

When it comes to creepiness, Pleasure Island has nothing on the Uncanny Valley.

4 Likes

This, detective, this is the correct answer.

The Del Toro version is going to be ill, insha’Allah.

7 Likes

Is there a german word for aggressive disinterest towards something?

13 Likes

Not sure how this is “live action” when half of it looks CGI.

7 Likes

gotta love an opening that plugs the two ugliest, most useless live action remakes of all time . Sets expectations right. But Tom Hanks as Gepetto is too - ahem - on the nose for a Disney remake. I’m surprised he’s jumping back in the Zemeckis pool after Polar Express. At least this being a Bobby Z joint means that Blank Check is legally obligated to cover it in a future episode.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why Disney bothered; the definitive edition of Pinocchio has already been created.

I can only hope so, that said none of these adaptations will encompass the true madness that is the original story

6 Likes

The hanging scene was actually where the story was meant to end. Basically, Collodi wanted to convey the message that children could face grave consequences for being disobedient. However, the editor of the paper requested that Collodi continue writing—perhaps wishing for a bit more of a happily ever after himself—and that’s where the blue fairy came in to save the puppet.

Pinocchio: Joke’s on you, fuckers! I’m a wooden puppet, I was literally made to be strung up!

Blue Fairy: Hi Pinocchio, today is the day I turn you into a real boy!

Pinocchio: [Asphyxiates and dies]

5 Likes

I enjoyed the weird and dark 2019 Italian version with Roberto Benigni as Geppetto. I think it’s on Amazon Prime for free.

Begs the question, why all these versions of the movie in the past few years?!

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize he did two Pinocchio movies. By all accounts his 2002 version was nigh unwatchable (0% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes!). I wonder how he convinced someone to give him another shot at it.

3 Likes

benigni

1 Like

OMG, even the cat is CGI, why?

1 Like

Presumably because real cats don’t take direction well?

2 Likes

I was about to make one up, but then I realized I couldn’t be asked.

1 Like

I don’t exactly remember if the cat has a meaningful implication on the story, but if it doesn’t it seems lazy to me to make a CGI cat, just because

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.