The curious history of American Chinese food

Those objects include shards from porcelain bowls, a medicine bottle and a coin that was likely minted in China in the 17th century and may have been kept as a good luck charm. But Merritt focused on the peanut and coconut shells, Chinese melon seeds and even cuttlefish and squid that would have been imported from China.

I guess sometimes they were willing to pay a premium for those tastes of home.

3 Likes

Chinese food in Japan is nothing like Chinese food in America. But nothing is like Chinese food in China. It’s not just different; the variety is different by orders of magnitude. What’s considered Chinese food in America is just a tiny sliver of the vast number of different types and combinations of food to be found in China.

3 Likes

I am sure i read this but can not remember where now, but there was something in one of the papers about how Chinese immigrant to England where cooking with older recipes, where as cooking in china had changed, and the expats in England where cooking “more authentic” Chinese food, thou that could be apocryphal who knows…

1 Like

There was an article on Taste.com about generational immigrant cooking, and how the perception of “home cooking” is frozen at the time the family moved.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.