Chinese couple tries Mexican food for the first time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/25/chinese-couple-tries-mexican-food-for-the-first-time.html

6 Likes

Had my first burrito circa 1976, in the old century that were. Never turned back. If you’re ever in Joshua Tree / Yucca Valley area, please look up / patronize Kasa carniceria, the #12 El Pastor is off the hook muy fabuloso. The wet chile verde burrito is right up there with a walk in heaven as well…

25 Likes

These guys are friggin adorable.

25 Likes

I hope they’re not like the majority of Asian people who don’t digest lactose well. That cheese will get you in the end. So to speak.

9 Likes

queso, just so you know so.

7 Likes

I liked how when he said he was going to drink some liquor to wash it down, she took his beer glass and emptied it into hers. There’s just something comfortably married about that which I find nicely homey.

22 Likes

This looks just like a Chinese burrito.

:laughing:

9 Likes

I once saw a menu item at a chain restaurant that proudly stated
Chili con Queso - WITH CHEESE!

12 Likes

Well, yes and no. In Spanish ‘queso’ would mean cheese–any kind of cheese. But in English, ‘queso’ is a cheese sauce and does not generally refer to other cheeses. The video labeled the dishes this way but was a bit more neutral about it using the phrase “queso sauce” and then “Mozerella cheese” and just “cheese”–which I assume means cheddar.

2 Likes

Kinda surprised about how remarkable the spiciness seems to them. I guess that reaction might not be the norm with people from other regions of China. The Bourdain episode in Sichuan comes to mind. He was a guy who wasn’t afraid of hot stuff, and the allusions to flaming anuses were legion.

10 Likes

It’s a shame they didn’t get to try this place when it was still open:

(FYI I ate here about 8 years ago, and it wasn’t great. However, crab Rangoon dipped in salsa are :+1:t4:)

2 Likes

It certainly does vary with region. As a lover of Carolina Reapers, I giggled when they said that jalapeno’s were too spicy.

2 Likes

Indeed, the uncle says it’s not so spicy compared to Szechuan. He also says he likes cheese, so presumably he’s lactose tolerant.

5 Likes

起司 is Mandarin for cheese.

8 Likes

Yeah. Pizza is popular enough in China that most adults will have an idea of their tolerance for cheese.

8 Likes

I was surprised that the food was so expensive! I guess in the US we’re spoiled for cheap Mexican food

4 Likes

My thought too, but they had a box of milk at home, so they get down with dairy.

1 Like

Exotic, foreign food with at least a few rare in China ingredients, jalapeños for one.

I’ve heard, from one person so this is just anecdotal, that tortillas are relatively popular. Don’t know exactly how Chinese homemakers are using them, but they are easily found in import stores.

4 Likes

I like my cheese to have cheese.

To be fair, I think @willmore is right and cheese means the generic cheese you get at the supermarket, probably some kind of cheddar.

5 Likes

For a current reality check, street tacos at a dependable restaurant in Tijuana cost around 3 or 4/$5. Granted, they’re a little small, but people like to mix and match with beef strips/birria, chorizo, whatever.

Edit: Maths

14 Likes