Chinese couple tries Mexican food for the first time

I’ll check it out the next time (a year or so from now) that I’m visiting family in YV. Not heading into the US for anything right now.

6 Likes

Interesting fact about that word – it is derived from Latin caesus, and the fact that queso descends from it is part of the reason we know that Latin “c” was hard (“k”, not “s”). Interestingly, another descendant of caesus is German Käse, which not being a Romance language, you wouldn’t expect it to be there.

9 Likes

Ok cool, we live right on the border of YV / JT. I can’t say as I miss the big city. The folks up here, minus the tRumpers are good sort. The area is a bit of a culinary desert, but things are changing, slowly. Try out 2 Guys Pizza in YV, the four cheese [four horsemen] is a winner.

Happy Trails!

2 Likes

My wife discovered that she likes Guinness. Whenever I have one at home, she asks me to pour her a ‘small glass’ from my can. Sigh. I have to buy it in a restaurant if I want to have the whole can or pint to myself, and we aren’t going out to eat these days.

4 Likes

My wife and I went on vacation several years ago down in Joshua Tree. We were riding around on a rented Indian. Heading back to wherever had the setting sun directly in my eyes, blinding me. It was getting dangerous so we pulled off the road into parking lot with that exact mexican restaurant in it. I had the carne asada as we waited for the sun to set. It was a great trip.

6 Likes

I spent a year of grad school in China and spice tolerance varies tremendously, usually depending on the regional cuisine of a person’s upbringing.

I’m not sure about Qingdao (where this was filmed), but I had one classmate from Suzhou who couldn’t handle the tiniest bit of pepper on anything. He’d spit it out. Another classmate from Hunan carried around his own jar of hot pepper oil everywhere he went because he found most food (we were in Nanjing) inedible without it. We would poke fun at him (and the guy from Suzhou), but when I went home with him for Chinese New Year to meet his family in rural Hunan, they truly did make EVERYTHING spicy. Fortunately I have a reasonable heat tolerance (and I’m pretty sure they toned it down considerably for my pale-white benefit) but every meal was an ordeal, especially because beer was the only beverage available at most meals (even breakfast) to cool down my tongue if I got in too deep, and beer bubbles don’t exactly help.

(Also, yes Sichuan is usually associated with spice in China. But the heat in Sichuan cuisine usually comes from Sichuan peppercorns, which have a numbing effect in addition to the burning effect of other kinds of pepper. Hunan cuisine is more akin to the really spicy Mexican and Indian stuff where the heat just keeps building as you keep eating.)

8 Likes

The food looked pretty ok, hard to tell without having a close look at everything. Plus one can’t tell exactly how close things were as far as seasonings and ingredients go, but the little bit that was shown it seemed like an average Mexican meal you find in the US but not the really authentic stuff. Still it was nice to see that overall they liked the flavors, and my interest is piqued by their comparisons to specific Chinese dishes. I’d looove to try equivalents to latin dishes that exist in China :smiley:

6 Likes

Mozzarella in the quesaldilla? Wha…?
Well, I might have to try it out & see if it works.
I like to put minced jalapenos & sliced serranos in my pico de gallo; the former for the long, slow burn & the latter for instant gratification.

Chiles burn twice!

2 Likes

When I lived in New Rochelle, NY, a Mexican restaurant opened up, run by a very nice couple who used to run a Chinese restaurant. They decided to get a tortilla machine and promote that they made their own tortillas, which I wasn’t aware was unusual. But the best part was that they still had a few Chinese menu items, fried rice and the like, so you could get a huge burrito with that bright red Chinese barbeque pork in it. It was fantastic.

Looked it up, and it appears to now be a Chinese restaurant. It’s the ciiiircle of takeout.

12 Likes

needed this happy little video today. thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

ahora mismo.

3 Likes

Like my parents, they’re at the table, wearing comfy polyester loungewear. (I like the stuff toy behind the Chinese couple; comfy atmo.)

3 Likes

10 years of working in northern China, I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant. Unless you count Chili’s by Tianjin University. Oh, you can find fajitas and a few other things at lots of restaurants that serve ex pats. Along side hamburgers and pasta and German sausages. I’ve been told there is one in Tianjin, but I think it’s a myth. A stop sign and a convertible were finally spotted (precisely one of each), so maybe there’s hope for a Mexican restaurant.

My Chinese friends just don’t seem to like Mexican food. Even when we are in the US. Not sure why. That devil weed, cilantro, is common in both cuisines, so it’s not that.

Oh, and NOTHING pairs with Chinese liquor. Sure, it’ll cleans the palette by means of solvent rinsing and get you drunk fast. But the best way to describe it is moonshine.

5 Likes

You do get occasional Latin origins in German words. Natur comes to mind, for one.

Also a little interesting that Spanish, Portuguese, German (and English!) preserved that word while French and Italian adopted the late Latin formaticum.

6 Likes

It’s similar in some ways to the Oaxaca cheese you might traditionally get in a quesadilla.

5 Likes

There are Peter’s Tex-Mex restaurants in many major cities in China. The food seems pretty authentically Tex-Mex although it’s true that half the menu is other Western food.

I suspect that part of the resistance to Mexican food is that the Chinese simply don’t think of Mexico as an important enough country to give their food any respect. Similarly, despite the large number of African exchange students in China, I gather that there is precious little African cuisine to be found also.

4 Likes

That’s the name I’ve heard mentioned. But where is this city of Xibola that it’s supposed to be in? My quest into myth and legend continues.

I’ve suspected the same thing but continue to give the benefit of doubt for now.

2 Likes

I think that was actually coconut milk, at least that’s what Auntie called it.

3 Likes

In the US, we just call Mexican food ‘food’. Well, we should.

2 Likes

My brother-in-law, originally from the UK, had trouble getting Indian food until a few years ago. My sister and I turned him on to Mexican food, and he took an instant liking to it. Needless to say, he keeps a bottle of El Yucateco handy.

4 Likes