The Dead for a Dollar trailer pits Christoph Waltz against Willem Dafoe

Originally published at: The Dead for a Dollar trailer pits Christoph Waltz against Willem Dafoe | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It always feels strange seeing Westerns made with such slick, clean production. If campiness was the aim, it’s fine. But there are some great actors in there, be fun to see this approached earnestly.

Also, speaking of modern takes on the Western–“The Harder They Fall” was a fun one.

5 Likes

Well, the soundtrack is certainly very (stereo-)typically 'Westerny" - shades of Leone.

6 Likes

The plot appears to be leaning in to Noir territory, with crosses and double-crosses. The cast looks good, and Walter Hill directed one of my favourite pulpy films, “Streets of Fire”; and, also, “Warriors”, of course. I can dig this.

4 Likes

I’m onboard for Christoph Waltz in another western. He was excellent in Django Unchained. Willem Dafoe is also a damn good actor. Looking forward to this one.

9 Likes

Watching the trailer, I thought, “Oh, Christopher Waltz is doing his Django Unchained accent again… Ah, he’s actually German, isn’t he?” :thinking: :roll_eyes: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :laughing:

5 Likes

Walter Hill? I’m in.

3 Likes

As an old man I fit the stereotype. And not only do I like westerns, but I’m tired of the characterless cgi super hero action movies. For that matter where are the noir films and musicals

7 Likes

That’s a lot of sepia tone!

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOnkAEJx8p8

4 Likes

Hate to be a downer, but watching this trailer felt a little uncanny valley to me; all the right elements but not coming together as they should, somehow feeling too constructed and as someone else mentioned too “clean”. I kinda feel the opening scene of the two main actors is unnecessary. I love the idea of this film but somehow in it’s current form it’s not working for me.

1 Like

That was mighty damn pulpy I reckon.
Please tell me it wasn’t one of the Black actors being whipped.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.