What makes a movie a Western?

i wonder if the reason was because they used to make SO MANY westerns…
i would say that i have enjoyed most modern westerns: assassination of jesse james, true grit, django, unforgiven, hell or high water, wind river, the revenant and the remakes 3:10 to yuma, magnificent seven are all timeless entertainment.

i hope this fate comes for horror/slasher movies. how many saw movies do we need ffs?

1 Like

That site claims Killers of the Flower Moon is a Western. That’s a really loose definition of “Western”.

1 Like

How is it not a western?

8 Likes

… I think traditionally anything set in the twentieth century was considered “too recent” to be “a Western,” but as time passes our concept of “the Old West” may also be moving forward :thinking:

1 Like

Power of the Dog from a couple of years ago is also generally considered a Western and is set in the 20th century. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes
  1. The film was set in the 1920s, not the 19th century
  2. It was set in Oklahoma, which might seem “Western” from the East Coast, but is generally considered part of the Midwest.

… well I mean “Yellowstone” is obviously a Western and it’s set right now, so the industry seems to be in the midst of a redefinition :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

That link sent me down a rabbit hole, lol. So there’s a link there to Contemporary Westerns, which includes tv shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It’s a rather broad genre, apparently.

5 Likes

it’s also based on a true story (and a historical work), but still. Other than being set later than most westerns, I’d argue it still qualifies as a western.

See above. We’re further away from the 20s today than the first western feature films were from the “closing of the west”… which really the Indian wars dragged on until the 20s, in many ways. The book that the film was taken from makes that argument to some degree, as have lots of modern historians of what we consider the west. Films will change with our changing of the past, because we have new perspectives and often new sources to consult. And that will naturally translate to pop culture taking on new understandings of the past. I mean, seriously - we really should not be taking Fredrick Jackson Turner’s thesis from the 1890s to be gospel truth here… there has been literally entire libraries of work that put the west into new and more interesting light than "white people killed a bunch of Native Americans and now they’re done and it’s a bad thing for the American character… It’s kind of horseshit to be honest…

But generally speaking the term “the west” is a historically situated term, so naturally, it’s going to change as our historical perspectives change. :woman_shrugging:

I guess these aren’t western’s then…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033132/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

Also, this is what the census bureau considers the midwest…

OK is not in it… It is, in fact, in the SW, as @danimagoo noted below me…

I have never heard anyone refer to OK as part of the MW, but always the SW…

11 Likes

I lived in Oklahoma for 9 years. No one in Oklahoma considers that to be part of the Midwest. Most of them would call it part of the Southwest.

8 Likes

for my experience and pov, anything west of the mississippi is fair game for a western.

for @Mindysan33 and @danimagoo

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

7 Likes

I guess if you just take the locale as the defining feature, and it involves some sort of criminal element, then yeah, I can see that.

5 Likes

I’m not even sure if that’s a requirement these days. There are some legit Westerns set in places like Australia, not to mention all the space Westerns we’ve been seeing lately like Firefly and most of the Mandalorian episodes.

download (1)

15 Likes

… sometimes very far west

11 Likes

Yes, because there were a very similar set of circumstances there with regards to European settlement. Same for Canada.

8 Likes

And Space Westerns don’t exist.

11 Likes

t looks like the Southwest has no official definition by the Census bureau and the reason OK is striped in your Southwestern map is because some count it as Southwestern and others don’t. By the Census burea, it’s neither the Midwest nor Southwest, but the South.

1 Like
7 Likes

Yeah. I mean, IMO, for all genres of “westerns,” it’s the whole “frontier” aspect that really clinches it, whether it’s in Oklahoma or Texas or on a free ranging spacecraft.

8 Likes

I thought westerns don’t really match up to real geography mainly because most of them are so mythological anyway. They take place in a liminal space called “the west” or “the frontier.” That genre is a mishmash of samurai/ronin conventions set in the Bushido of the south with Italian cinematography and music and often directed and produced by Californian moguls themselves displaced from Europe…
all flavored with a hypermasculine fantasy that doesn’t even approach reality… so idk.

11 Likes