The Dead-Internet Theory: most content creators and consumers are A.I. bots

Originally published at: The Dead-Internet Theory: most content creators and consumers are A.I. bots | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Dagnabbit! They are on to us! :robot: Cheese it!

11 Likes

Oh my intelligence is artificial all right…

9 Likes

most content creators and consumers are A.I. bots

Flossy:

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

"Dead-internet theory suggests…

suggests, the laughs keep coming, you’re killing me BB…

6 Likes

I mean, most internet traffic does come from bots, and there’s whole online ecosystems of content and site interactions driven by bots, created to scam online advertising systems, that are completely unseen by actual humans. I suspect there’s not that much overlap with content humans look at.

Even on Youtube, that has plenty of weird videos that are apparently being ground out by algorithms, it’s going to be humans that are actually producing the content, albeit driven and guided entirely by what data indicates should be in it and how it should be presented. It’ll be interesting when there’s content completely generated by AI that people actually watch. I think we’re close - it won’t be great, but people will watch it.

8 Likes

Anyone else quit reading science fiction? I hate the future too much.

4 Likes

“…across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.”
– H.G. Wells

7 Likes

No kidding. The whole tone of that Atlantic article is weird. It’s basically saying this is just another goofball theory with little nuggets of validity that we, the smart set at The Atlantic, can mine for little bits of wisdom.

Oh those chattering classes, with their worries about coups and Zuckerberg spreading hate and health care for all!

How quaint! How misguided! How simply adorable! And yet I, the truly savvy The Atlantic writer, will bring it all down to its proper, miniaturist perspective…

4 Likes

Everyone on the internet is a bot except you.

1 Like

And what if I am also a bot?

I’m minded of stories where the protagonist is a vampire or the like, trying to hide amongst the humans, only to slowly realise that all the people around them are also vampires never letting anyone else know they’re vampires, and eventually they realise that the last human died years ago, and they’ve been perpetrating the masquerade without realising that there was no-one left to hide from.

3 Likes

Yeah, the “conspiracy theory” resonates in this case because it is, in some sense, true. And social media is where the bot internet and human internet collide - Trump with most of his followers being bots/spam/inactive, Facebook deleting literally billions of fake accounts (and still having a significant percentage of bot users), not to mention the massive amounts of content being created by people who aren’t who they say they are (and often using automated tools to help them) that is operating as psyops (political and/or commercial).

1 Like

Or other bots will watch it, completing the cycle.

4 Likes

If we gather enough motion capture clips, and burn enough coal neural netting them into some kind of gestalt, we could have fully automated Vtuber talents.

Vtuber model + motion control NN + GPT + advanced TTS = Fully automated anime girls for the masses to simp to.

A curious eversion of Kizuna AI

3 Likes

Now that must surely already be happening - it seems like the most obvious way to extract money from Youtube ads. There are already view-bots, after all…

1 Like

5 Likes

It’s all just NFTs watching NFTs of NFTs watching NFTs.

2 Likes

Oblig XKCD

(alt text: And what about all the people who won’t be able to join the community because they’re terrible at making helpful and constructive co-- … oh.)

Which, I now realise, makes me nothing more than a bot who posts whichever XKCD cartoon is relevant. Ah well, at least the elcetrons are cheap and plentiful.

7 Likes

Mine is “faux”.

1 Like
4 Likes