The "dead parent test" for effective movie dialogue

I was happy to see that exact line pulled out and isolated. The whole movie had many problems, but that line was dire, it was absolute rock bottom.

Ha!
I honestly didn’t even remember the line, instead I remember falling deeper and deeper into despair every time someone would open their mouth. I think I was blacking out.

1 Like

Oh I remember it! It wasn’t just the whole “Love is the great mystery that binds the universe, and I mean that in a literal and scientifically accurate way” thing that turned my stomach, it was that combined with the fact that it came from the “strong scientific non-stereotypical female” character, who just needed to go into space to find out that science is hard but wuv is the secret.

Uuuggh. Like that, and the whole faked moon landing thing. FFS.

I have unresolved issues with that movie, I need to smash a copy of the DVD or something.

2 Likes

I’m very fond of PterryOBE’s shorthand for crap dialogue: “As you know, your father, the king…”

2 Likes

Stage directions make up a good chunk of most screenplays.

1 Like

“You’re my brother, and I love you…”

(I was an only child, so I don’t actually know – Do siblings ever feel the need to remind each other of their relationship? Barring amnesia or something.)

But aren’t they more functional than anything? Isn’t most of the actual writing (i.e. writing where choice of words, rhythm etc. really matters) in the dialogue? To me at least, it makes sense that someone considering whether to buy a screenplay would give most, maybe nearly all, their attention to the dialogue.

Then we wouldn’t have Koyaanisqatsi (or its sequels,) Baraka, Quest For Fire, The Red Balloon, Le Dernier Combat, Shaun the Sheep… You get the idea.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Nah, I was mostly being contrarian. I doubt Koyanisqaatsi even had a screenplay as such. However, a good deal is often conveyed by stage directions, well beyond simple business like Joe picks up the TELEPHONE.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.