The DeSantis family are practicing gas station food connoisseurs

It has been a long time, but in a prior century a friend and I use to commute from Collage Park, MD to Sparks, MD. We carpooled because it was a super long drive. Many mornings we would stop a Wa-Wa and buy lunch, generally in the form of a bread roll and some deli meat. I don’t remember it being particularly better or worse than a supermarket for the same task, but it was a lot cheaper then eating out for lunch.

3 Likes

Hold up.
There IS a very real Southern Tradition of EXCELLENT gas station food.
I’d still avoid the sushi, but if you’re looking for traditional comfort foods, especially fried or BBQd, then there are some good AF places that deserve to be Michelin starred.

4 Likes

OH, I should concur. Caseys is pretty good.

I think they put a little extra sugar in their dough - it has a sweet aftertaste to me.

2 Likes

So, we’re moving into the “time to humanize Ron” phase of his campaign. Shame she has way more charisma than him.

4 Likes

How does he usually travel around the state these days?

1 Like

I know exactly where that is. I lived in Lees Summit for 10 years, and I always meant to try that place and never did.

2 Likes

Can I still say “fuck you Ron” and enjoy some convenience food?!

3 Likes

Yuppie Bastards.

You’ll never see the likes of them eating Gas Station Food where real people live:

Dessicated weenies rolling endlessly on the warmer, well on their way to becoming jerky…
Stale buns, if they even have any…
The ketchup/mustard pump that requires multiple strokes to prime & expel the dried plug in the nozzle…
Fuzzy film on the relish vat…
Premade sandwiches in bulging packaging… etc, etc.
All at extortionate prices, since there are no grocery stores for miles around.

2 Likes

Sheetz is basically a fast casual restaurant that sells gas at this point. They’re quite popular in the western half of PA and the food is a couple notches above typical fast food joints. And now that PA lets them sell wine and beer, they’re more popular than ever.

2 Likes

Well when I first walked into one, after having friend gush about them, it was like the opening scene of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. “You can order HOT food? From a touch screen? And it’s ready while we get gas?”

Keep in mind that there was nothing like that where I was from ~1997-98.

2 Likes

Oh, no doubt. They have changed a lot about gas stations around here, which at best had roller hot dogs and crusty nachos prior to them. The fact that beer and wine is able to be sold more broadly in PA than was the case for a very long time is directly the result of the Sheetz push as well. I won’t criticize someone for enjoying gas station food if Sheetz or a comparable place is that gas station.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the most human he’s managed so far.
Remember, when you least expect it, he’ll still dig into his lunch with three fingers.

Besides, I wouldn’t expect BoingBoing to be too touchy about lowbrow convenience store cuisine. I’d half expect a connoisseur rating of gas stations as an article.

5 Likes

Fifthing or sixthing Casey’s pizza.

Miss their taco pizzas.

2 Likes

Done.

Might be a good moment to mention that I’ve been tagged with a formalized nickname of “The Bad Idea Fairy” for stuff like this :grin:

1 Like

Well, the beauty is that it’ll expire in 30 days if there’s no interest.

Buck-ee’s in love?

1 Like

And Casey’s too, is much better than a gas station pizza has any right to be.

Especially because of the lack of quality pizza ‘restaurant’ options in the areas where Casey’s has a tendency to be.

ETA: @Loo_Koolor I owe you a Coke…

celebrate happy hour GIF by Celebrity Cruises Gifs

4 Likes

They’re also not so much “gas station food” as a gas station with a full restaurant. At least the one in temple is like that…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.