Man eats nothing but Whataburger for a week to unlock the secrets of Texan identity

Originally published at: Man eats nothing but Whataburger for a week to unlock the secrets of Texan identity | Boing Boing

3 Likes

17 Likes

As a real Texan, I mistakenly never got the reason for the love, either. Glad to hear it’s not about the food itself, because it’s really nothing to write home about.

11 Likes

I mean, I prefer the fries there to the ones at most places but it’s definitely not a stellar experience.

And now I want some fries with spicy ketchup… damn

7 Likes

If there’s any fries I’d walk a mile for, it’s Checkers/Rallys seasoned curly fries – but yeah, their fries aren’t horrible.

5 Likes

As a 30-year resident of Texas (Austin, San Antonio), I’ve never gotten the reason of the love of this place, either. I’ve been there maybe 3 times in 30 years and I agree - the food is definitely mediocre at best. I just don’t get it, and honestly don’t care enough to go back again.

5 Likes

Calling his week-long Whataburger journey a “scientific and spiritual inquiry,”

I’m sure he got a side inquiry into the nature of his bathroom. Plenty of time for contemplating while sitting on the porcelain throne.

11 Likes

I follow the reasoning but this experience appeal can apply anywhere you are a “regular” customer. I used to eat at some no-name cafe where the staff remembered my name (“Cheers!”) and my usual meals.

3 Likes

I had that from eating there once. Not been back since.

3 Likes

That’s the reason I haven’t had a McDonalds burger and fries in decades. It took a couple of nasty incidents before I learned that my body couldn’t handle them anymore.

3 Likes

The Whataburger burger, served “dry,” is a mediocre grilled Whopper knockoff. The Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit, served “dry,” is a fast food chicken strip in a fast food biscuit.

What separates these from other places is the sauce. Whataburger Spicy Ketchup, Creamy Pepper sauce (think a “hot” version of McDonald’s special sauce), Jalapeno Ranch, and yes… the honey mustard, which somehow turns that chicken strip and biscuit into a delicious thing that can make a man sing.

Seriously, it’s the sauce.

3 Likes

Everything is bigger in Texas. Whataburger has the biggest patties of any burger chain I have seen. Their hours are longer, with most open all night. Their restaurants are taller than they need to be. How could they not be big in Texas?

5 Likes

The ketchup is better than most. To me, it tastes like regular ketchup with a splash of A-1 steak sauce added.

4 Likes

Before my parents had moved to San Antonio in 2005, I had never heard of the place. On my first visit, the orange/white striped peaked roofs (orange is my favorite color) caught my eye IMMEDIATELY, as well as the goofy name. I had to try it at least once. In 5 or so visits (including 2 months spent in SA this summer), I’ve eaten there a total of twice. It’s OK, but why eat there when I could go to Sea Island? :9

2 Likes

Or perhaps:

2 Likes

It’s at best “Just ok”. I do like their patty melt and it’s a solid item to get but I’m sure I could get a better one elsewhere if I looked. I also don’t understand some folks’ love for the chain, but whatever makes them happy i guess. I just hate to see tourists try the food and be confused over the hype, yeah… We’re all confused too :stuck_out_tongue:

That said if i wanted for someone from out of state or abroad to experience something even more Texan it’d be for them to check out a Buc-ee’s gas station. I also don’t have much of a fondness for it, not being from TX but it’s at least an interesting business people might not experience elsewhere.

4 Likes

I can draw a direct parallel to the local chain ‘Mighty Taco’. Food wise they’re just a less crappy ‘Taco Bell’, but a lot of folks have fond memories of eating at them during their college years, or after sporting events or concerts. It’s definitely about the memories.

3 Likes

As fast food goes Whataburger is good, I like that I can have jalapenos on my burger. Now that I’m in California tho, I don’t understand the fawning of In & Out. Frankly even the best chain burgers barely gets above mediocre.

4 Likes

Do we tell OP about going to Luby’s after church?

4 Likes

Since Whataburger is Patrick Mahomes favorite late night burger place from college, he lamented there weren’t any in KC. But now we have 3 or 4. I think he invested in some of the franchise.

I dunno - I kinda like them. I think they give you a lot of burger for the money. Half the time I save half of my double for later. With cheese, though. Without cheese and they are kinda meh.

3 Likes