Meet the reclusive heir of the In-N-Out burger dynasty

[Read the post]

Well, this story confirms what I’d been told: I-N-O’s range is constrained by distanced from a limited number of distribution centers.

I really wish they’d open a center in, say, Portland. Or better yet Pendleton, OR, where they could get fresh beef and cheap rent but still be on a highway network that could service a wide swath of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.

As for the burgers:

They are really good fast food burgers. I’ve cut way, way back on those, and most I’ve eaten lately have been disappointing. If In-N-Out were up here (Portland OR) I’d probably limit my burger input to them.

3 Likes

5 Guys is so much better.

2 Likes

I like their burgers okay (their fries are near-inedible unless younger than 10 minutes old), but not nearly as much as Fatburger’s. Or my new favorite: the Dog Haus. Haven’t tried Five Guys yet since I don’t get down to Studio City anymore. I’ll try the Burbank location once they get around to opening it.

1 Like

Not surprised. This is why you don’t see White Castle in the west.

I had I-N-O many times when they opened locations in the Bay Area, and meh. I never quite got what the big deal was and was never a fan of the secret menu shenanigans. The burgers were good but not mind blowing.

I much prefer 5 Guys for a good fast food burger.

FTFY.  

4 Likes

And mushier.

1 Like

I could write a long form Medium post, but I will distill it here.

In and Out is what people remember their burger experiences as.

Their fries suck cause they aren’t double fried.

I love their sparse menu.

I eat there once every year.

Double anything is dumb, get the smallest one they advertise.

2 Likes

Yeah that was my feeling when I finally had one on my last road trip to California. They were not bad just not amazing either. 5 Guys is good stuff and great fries but here in Seattle with Uneeda Burger, and Blue Moon I feel no need to go there. Besides Uneeda has poutine, why go anywhere else?

5 Likes

We have JAX in Houston, but better than that is Whataburger. W is actually damn good. Smash burger is here too, but meh. Five guys = ok. There are some small mom and pop ones too that rock.

I have a nightly craving for whataburger, but only take myself up on it once a month.

1 Like

Oof. Really? In-N-Out is too salty as it is.

When I was working on Will & Grace, the writers there had a routine they’d indulge in every other month or so for lunch. They’d send one PA over to In-N-Out for a sackful of Double-Doubles. They’d send another PA over to McDonald’s for a shitload of french fries.

Best of both worlds.

9 Likes

Good idea. Wonder how it went ordering animal style at McDonald’s.

2 Likes

“I’ll have the smallest quadruple burger that you offer. And triple fry my fries dammit!”

4 Likes

If you like lots of salt and grease with a funky metallic flavor. No competition.

1 Like

I kinda like burgers at Fuddruckers. They taste a lot like Fatburger, but they don’t have the badass jukeboxes. Better seating, though. And for drive-thru, I’d sooner have Wendy’s than In-N-Out.

Damn, I eat too many burgers.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’d like to see a true analysis of the salt content for both. I don’t generally add salt to anything, and especial not the processed foods in this country that have a lot of it to begin with. That being said, I order an In and Out burger when I’m on the west coast and afterwards I think: “I shouldn’t have done that.” I’ve been to a few Five Guys, and every time after a few bites I think: “I can’t eat this.”

1 Like

Buttfuckers is good because I can get 4000 pickles and tomatoes, just like I like.

4 Likes

Part of it is that in-n-out really is fast food - their baseline cheeseburger is $2.25, with grilled onions. It does kind of favor the home-eater who has had more than 10, since by that point you’ve figured out which secret menu styles you like best.
An $8-$10 burger (like at Uneeda) is at a different level - although many a generic $10 burger has fell below a $2.25 cheeseburger from in-n-out.

3 Likes

Nice thing about SoCal is just how all these places are just here. I’d hit In n Out for it’s convenience, and will pick it over other burger joints. Five Guys I like it all the way, but just too many fries for a trip. Slaters with friends, mix it up with Fudd or Fatburger. A Dog Haus opened up in Fullerton and I’ve been going there for the hot dogs. Finally did try out Portillos, very interesting dog there, but it is a trip.