In-N-Out donates $25,000 to California Republican Party, under Trump. There's a boycott.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/31/in-n-out-donates-25000-to-ca.html

8 Likes

The ones I noticed all seemed like generic evangelical Christian stuff like John 3:16, not the “smite the gays” bits from Leviticus or anything.

Donating to the GOP while the party is actively promoting fascism is something else entirely.

32 Likes

Happy they are not in my state. Saves me the trouble of not going.

10 Likes

To be honest I wasn’t all that impressed when I finally got to try In-N-Out… it was meh.

23 Likes

Just like Chik-Fil-A, the food there is really overrated.

There’s only one in my area and many locals seem to go batshit for it, regardless; it’ll be interesting to see how this boycott plays out around my way.

17 Likes

Yes. I had my last double double, sadly, last week.

10 Likes

When I lived in LA, I liked Tommy’s and Johnny Rockets. But now there are a ton of gourmet burgers restaurants all over the place. Not to mention old favorites like Apple Pan or east coast rivals Shake Shack. Boycotting In-N-Out should be easy with so many options.

16 Likes

Chik-Fil-A does what it does pretty well, that said I won’t support their anti-gay bullshit with my money. And In-N-Out is trash, it’s basically 1990’s McDonalds, whoopee.

I’d rather pickup a couple Beyond burgers and grill em up at home anyway.

12 Likes

The company that prints Bible references on it’s cups and bags also supports Trump? Consider me shocked.

16 Likes

Especially the french fries. So lackluster.

To the crowd: Is Five Guys still politically okay? I think their food’s the bomb. And SO MANY tasty fries…and FREE PEANUTS!

14 Likes

Uh… okay.

I haven’t had their food since I was like 17 and my taste buds didn’t know any better… but back then, their chicken sandwiches were soggy and salty. Somehow, I doubt they’ve improved over time.

There are no locations anywhere near me, so even if they weren’t run by bigots, I still wouldn’t be giving them my money.

But it’s still always fun to laugh at them:

10 Likes

Goodness, I hope so. And Fatburger too.

12 Likes

Make me.

34 Likes

Annnnd the milkshakes. Ahhh the milkshakes…

13 Likes

They cut the potato seconds before dropping it into the fryer, so the taste is very different from the french fries most people are accustomed to from other fast-food chains (which are mostly pre-seasoned and frozen long before arriving at the restaurant). Whether that makes them “better” or “worse” depends on personal taste. I liked them because they weren’t overly salty (salt is provided separately) but they definitely have to be eaten while still warm.

17 Likes

I keep forgetting there’s a Nations Burger not too far from here. I gotta try them again.

4 Likes

19 Likes

West Coast Burger Chains I can still eat at:

Fatburger
Dick’s
Tommy’s Original*

*survival not guaranteed

8 Likes

This is what I like best about the chain, you can see your fries progress from potato to finished product while you stand there waiting.

Honestly, $30k doesn’t seem like very much money for a company their size. That’s like one Paul Manafort jacket.

14 Likes