Meet the reclusive heir of the In-N-Out burger dynasty

I think the approach to burgers is different enough to not compare In n Out with 5 Guys or other “all in” burger joints. In n Out offers essentially plain burgers, and for a plain burger, they are probably the best. 5 Guys lets you put as much crap on your burger as you want for no additional cost, so you can get a burger with mayo, A1, fried onions, grilled green peppers, tomato, and mushrooms like it’s no big deal. Fundamentally different.

3 Likes

Anyone remember Hot N Now? It was like the In N Out of the central time zone.

When In N Out came to Dallas, I gave it a try. Meh. Honestly, for drive thru burgers it’s still hard to beat a What-a-burger. Even the plain burger at What-a-burger has a better taste.

1 Like

I feel dirtier & greasier when I order the $15 cheeseburger at a restaurant, compared to when I just get fast food.

3 Likes

Whataburger also has some pretty good burger variations and good chicken sandwiches too. I have no problem ordering across their whole menu when I go. Unlike a lot of other fast food places, where I usually get the same thing.

1 Like

Shake shake ruined me.

Five guys is pretty good- but only if the “a” team is working and the fries are actually crispy- and that’s not always the case. When they are, though- watch out.

But Shake Shack I really enjoy. Get the single, get the special (whatever that is). Get the cheese fries, but for god’s sake share them with someone or you might die. Also: Five Guys shakes are unacceptably sweet.

3 Likes

I love in-n-out because it’s CHEAP. $6 gets you fries, double-double, and a drink.

5-Guys runs me $10 or so for what I’d consider “equivalent”.

Try one of their burgers, with white American cheese and all the toppings you like. Don’t get the double unless you’re really hungry and don’t mind the burger’s catastrophic disassembly while you’re eating. Get tater tots and a shake, too. You won’t regret it, though your cardiologist might.

1 Like

Sounds good, I’ve been mostly getting the sweet potato fries but the tots weren’t bad. I’ll make this a thing next time. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes! Hot-N-Now was great, and incredibly cheap. I was sad to see them go.

Yeah, not bad at all. Speaking of Texas, I remember liking Braum’s hamburgers and fries but I can’t remember when I’ve visited one – it was probably during the Clinton administration (and when I actually lived in Texas).

Elevation costs about the same, or slightly more than, 5 Guys, and I guess it’s healthier, but as seldom as I actually eat burgers I don’t know that it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

I took my son to Shake Shack when he was 6 or 7. He told someone there how much he liked his burger and they gave him a t-shirt (free advertising for them, I know, but still…)

1 Like

I do miss Steak n’ Shake but they seemed to have gone registered trademark on everything on my last visit to the hometown, still good burgers. Since I took the land route the last time and went through there twice, if you are ever in Kansas City, and yeah I know why have burgers when there is Arthur Bryant’s and Gates, but Winstead’s is good stuff and recommended by Calvin Trillin.

1 Like

Better than INOB, perhaps. Two words for anyone visiting Charm City: Clark Burger. INOB may have their “special” menu and all, but they don’t have a cold, frosty pint of your favorite local pale ale.

1 Like

Ah. The inevitable response of quantity over quality.

1 Like

S’n’S only has one thing going for them over any other chain listed: Being open 24 hours a day means infinite free entertainment while you’re eating some awful greasebomb.

I heard 5 Guys fries are terrible. True?

2 Likes

Uhh, they’re ok. They do make a big show of giving you “extra” because if you stand there watching them bag, they fill the fry cup, put the cup in the bag and then toss “more” into the bag on top.

1 Like

The cajun fries are good! But I like the potato-iness of In-n-Out’s single frying.

They suck less if you get them “well done”. Which is one of the reasons In-N-Out rocks – their barebones-simple menu gives you space to customize as you wish. Animal Style burgers (griddled with mustard, topped with grilled onions) are terrific. Whereas at 5 Guys, they’ll just roll their eyes and say ‘no’ if you want your soggy-ass fries crispy or your well-done burger less than well-done.

2 Likes

It takes more effort than many realize to make excellent fries. My favorite burger and fries were from a little joint out in the country. Grilled onions, cow from around the corner, American cheese, pickle, special sauce, and shredded iceberg lettuce. It was 100% perfect Americana.

Some day I need to go to shake shack…

“Fries extra crispy, please.”

InNOut Flack: “No problem!”

2 Likes