The DeSantis family are practicing gas station food connoisseurs

Originally published at: The DeSantis family are practicing gas station food connoisseurs | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Gas fumes, “food” and DeathSantis, someone throw a match

2 Likes

Buc-ee’s, actually.

And much as I hate to agree with this fool, he’s right about Buc-ee’s. They’re great.

13 Likes

Was gonna say!

7 Likes

Wawa’s food is…well…technically I guess it is food. That’s as much praise as I’m willing to give it. Casey’s has good pizza. Buc-ee’s didn’t really become a thing until after I moved from Texas, so I can’t speak to them, but their fans have always seemed a bit cultish in their devotion.

6 Likes

Circle K microwave burritos are pretty good. Bean and cheese, and whatever the one with green chilis is. Great late-night food.

4 Likes

Dion’s Fried Chicken found at gas stations in the Keys is pretty good.

2 Likes

6 Likes

How often do people here praise Wa-Wa? :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t even like to buy gas at gas stations.

6 Likes

Do you have an electric car? :thinking: We have not made the leap yet, but the next car my family buys will most likely be electric…

3 Likes

Nope, I don’t drive enough to justify owning the vehicles I do. I am pretty close to selling them off and keeping one.

Gas stations are regulated and have people checking to see if they are selling the primary product they exist to sell in the right quantities. I can not find my way to trust their food.

6 Likes

I went into a Sheetz in 1998 in Pittsburgh and it was like entering the future.

25 years later and Quik Trip around here finally caught up - but I wonder if Sheetz has surpassed itself or what?

Also, KC has several small gas stations that also serve their own foods made on site, like tacos or BBQ.

4 Likes

Sadly, his phony baloney “man of the people” act precludes him from eating gas station sushi.

3 Likes

Doesn’t the original Joe’s in KCK still sell gas? Does anyone actually buy gas there?

1 Like

It’s really a remarkable operation. I’m in California but needed to be in both Dallas and Little Rock a couple weeks ago so ended up driving there and back. Stopped at the Buc-ee’s in both directions. The Brisket sandwich was pretty darn good for – I think it was $7? And the place was immaculate.

The pay/benefits for their employees are apparently quite good, too.

No matter what this guy’s opinion of it, I’m not going say one bad thing about the place.

7 Likes

I’m craving one of those brisket sandwiches right now. Unfortunately, there are no Buc-ee’s in Missouri (yet).

3 Likes

Not sure? There was a place in Lees Summit that was a gas station, but now the pump is just for show.

1 Like

Yes. During the pandemic they installed outdoor seating on one side of the pumps and closed that car lane, which I think is still I use today. You can actually sit next to a gas pump and eat some of the world’s best BBQ.

I know what everyone is thinking and yeah the idea isn’t great. But keep in mind this place has a 30+ minute line from 10am to 2pm.

2 Likes

Yeah, thank you. I was coming over here to say this. Casey’s actually has really solid pizza for a gas station chain. In some Iowa towns it’s really the best pizza you can get. When I’m back home I tend to pick that over any of the general chains and their breakfast pie by the slice is legit.

Ron D sucks but the food at Casey’s is the real deal.

5 Likes