The designer of Universal Paperclips has a new game to play with your home smart speaker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/24/the-designer-of-universal-pape.html

2 Likes

Must… not… click on… Universal Paperclips…

Have… work to do, life to live…

Aaagh! (Starts buying wire)

5 Likes

Please don’t encourage these surveillance devices.

9 Likes

Even the “You Bet Your Life” duck isn’t safe from having their job replaced by a robot.

You could try to use the cards from Code Names to play this.
Or almost any deck or set of single word flash cards, oh.

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/24/hey-robot-a-party-game-where.html

3 Likes

This presumes that you don’t react like this to entering a house that has been fitted with a “fun” wiretap.

10 Likes

I wish there were conversations going on in my house worth eavesdropping on :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Came for the obligatory XKCD. Leaving satisfied.

3 Likes

you don’t get to decide whether your conversations have worth or not, the hundred billion dollar company wanting to collect them does

2 Likes

you know, for all the attention Google, FB, et al are said to give to targeted marketing, they don’t seem to be very good at it, at least wrt me. Years ago, my first non book purchase from Amazon was a desk lamp, after trying to find one locally. Since then, I am frequently assaulted with intensive campaigns to sell me another lamp, 'coz that’s what I do, I buy lamps. Also, when I do buy a book from Amazon, I receive suggestions from them that perhaps I would like to buy that book again, because who doesn’t want to buy the same book twice in one month. For a while, they tried to sell me insanely expensive cameras (50K +) and I don’t even own a camera… but yeah I am no friend of the practice in principle

2 Likes

To paraphrase Vincent ‘Vinnie’ Antonelli - some people like to read a book more than once.

1 Like

Because playing the decades old same game with only humans is boring?
Also, wont the robot have the same response every time? So, in effect after one round of the same words, the game would be spectacularly boring for the same group of intelligent people.

In short, I would still prefer to play with humans who can change their responses infinitely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.