The DHS's "Active Shooter" printable wallet card, for when "thoughts and prayers" fail

Saw this online earlier.

12 Likes

Then don’t interpret it that way. Y’all are welcome to your own opinions; please don’t misrepresent mine.

If I encourage healthy eating I’m not attacking overweight people and being insensitive towards people who can’t afford food. If I encourage people to die trying to take down a rampaging murderer, I’m not attacking people who choose not to or don’t have the opportunity.

@Brainspore, I don’t know if my poor writing skills are failing to get my message across, or if you’re just enjoying concern-driving trollies me. But you’re dragging in straw men, setting them on fire, and calling me an arsonist. It doesn’t feel like an honest exchange of viewpoints, it feels like you’re trying to “win”. Do you see any way we could come to a meeting of minds?

This is my framing, this is how I choose to see the world: When danger threatens, some can freeze, some can run, and some can counterattack. It probably won’t be the same people acting the same every time. There’s no cowards, no heroes, just people acting in accordance with the situation. For group survival, we’ve needed all three responses, and so it’s just humanity as we are.

The framing that makes heroes and victims and protected classes and protectors and all that huge edifice of value judgement and social classes, the framework that puts duration of personal existence as the highest goal, is the sustaining framework of the police state. Or at least that’s what I believe, that’s how I interpret what I’ve experienced and what I’ve read of Zimbardo and Grandin and Lakoff*. I consciously reject that framing.

I don’t think it’s unethical to say I’d rather risk certain death than call the police. I don’t think it’s insensitive to victims of crime to say I’d prefer that death to the way my father died, the way my aunt and uncle died, the way my grandparents died - horribly suffering and deeply cognitively compromised, barely able to express their wish for an ending. I don’t think it’s wrong for me to promote this point of view.

“Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, and no suffering, in the grave, whither thou goest”.

* not claiming that my views and theirs are the same.

2 Likes

I’m not “misrepresenting” anything. You literally mocked people who, as you say, “run and cower” when danger threatens, rather than attack on sight.

I’m pointing out that the suggestions you’re mocking are common-sense thoughts as to how not to panic in an active shooter situation. You’re saying that following these suggestions is a compromise and that risking death is preferable, yes?

1 Like

No I didn’t. I literally mocked a wallet card. And attempted to give my own perspective, express the standard I set for my wallet.

And if you look at my conversation with zaphodbblx, you can see that it’s possible to disagree quite vehemently without painting me as a cartoon villain and dragging in people I didn’t.

Your third paragraph is excellent in that regard, btw. Thank you. Yes, I’m saying my death is better than letting an “active shooter” go unimpeded. Not yours, not some person in some other real-life shooting, my life, in the DHS’s hypothetical active shooter scenario. Because I truly do feel that way. Could I live up to my standards? I don’t know yet. I hope so; preliminary indications are good.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. So you weren’t referring to people who cower or run, or call the police, and none of your comments had anything to do with actual humans who run, hide, cower, or fail to proactively attack a terrorist. Given how often your comments here actually mention people, rather than wallet-size pieces of paper, you can see how this would be confusing.

1 Like

C’mon, there’s lots of problems with my actual real views, give me the small kindness of not maliciously deconstructing my prose when I’ve done my best to explain it.

For example you could point out that my framing is suspiciously close to that of Zimri, and accuse me of being a supporter of vigilantism. I’ll probably come out looking pretty bad on that one, what with my Rinzai “kill the buddha” inclinations.

Or you could point out how my philosophy can support “good guy with a gun” narratives even though I’m personally not a fan of weapons that leave the hand. No, wait, that criticism’s already been made (and I admitted the truth of it, it’s valid).

1 Like

Do you do your own minor self-surgery when required?

I say go with the AMC PSA, just as useful.

How in Hades did you know that? Only extremely minor.

See, I don’t know you, but I know people like you, and I understand where you are coming from. You’re an old school breed which in another time would have been clearing a forest to raise a farm and a family, using the fur of the wolves who stalk your kids as mittens in the winter.

DAMMIT I thought I was an iconoclast, an unconventional eccentric who marches to the beat of a different drummer, and now you tell me I’m just a bloody stereotype.

That’s it.   I’m shaving off my mohawk.

3 Likes

There are only so many different drum beats possible. Or perhaps a more apt comparison: my friend who has studied several different sword techniques started to see several of the same swings from different styles and cultures, and realized there are only so many effective ways for a person to swing a sword…

1 Like

I’m on board with you. At first, I misread the headline as
“Active shooter punch card”

1 Like

I like the part where it tells you how to act in order to be not shot by the LEOs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.