The Draft Top turns your aluminum can into an open mouthed glass with a twist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/10/the-draft-top-turns-your-alumi.html

“For the man who has everything except a couple pint glasses”

22 Likes

My thought exactly. For $39, one can get some pretty resilient drinkware (A YETI rambler mug comes to mind, but there’s knock-offs of even that which are considerably cheaper).

4 Likes

$40 for a can opener is a little silly, but for the BoingBoing Store this isn’t bad. Certainly a step up from “Here look at these 40 charging cables!

5 Likes

Of the entire 41 second video, I saw maybe 1.7 seconds of actual product footage. maybe.

That puts it somewhere between ‘shamwow’ and ‘sea monkeys’ on the scam-o-meter.

14 Likes

beer from cans… nah.

1 Like

At least canned beer isn’t ever skunked. If I can’t have draft, I prefer a canned beer, especially with clear bottled brands.

4 Likes

3aeb0c3327390c20ab7d98132e80e1f71e91719ea2dc70444e8cf819d2dbd80b

14 Likes

Actually, a lot of craft breweries have started canning – it’s not just for mass market lagers anymore. It is actually superior to bottles in keeping beer fresh.

11 Likes

The dealbreaker for me is: The top doesn’t come OFF - it falls IN

3 Likes

Older readers will remember the problem we used to have with pull tab litter, back in the days when pull tabs did not remain connected to the lid after opening. This seems conducive to that problem reappearing, only much magnified because the lid is bigger than a pull tab.

Still, the gadget is cool. There used to be a popular kind of can opener which was like a pair of compasses with a cutter on one leg. You’d poke the plain leg into the center of the lid, use the cutter to ‘draw’ a circle, and then lift and discard the disk you’d cut. Super-fast. I suppose the downside of using one of those for a beer can is the blood from the razor-sharp lip left behind.

3 Likes

See Crowler

3 Likes

Remember the bottle-top glass cutters? IIRC, the idea was to create drinking glasses, though all you really needed to do was get a mason jar.

5 Likes

Another thing to be lost in the kitchen junk drawer.

2 Likes

Those are still a thing in the craft community, though nowadays people tend to keep the top part and throw away the part that might otherwise be a glass. You put small light bulbs in the top bits and string them up on your patio. To enhance the aesthetic you can add a rusting Pontiac Firebird and a pile or two of tires in the yard visible from the patio.

6 Likes

Hmm, if the diameter were just right that sort of device would be useful in manufacturing these, but that is a critical dimension, and it would be pure serendipity if the cutter is just right for it:

2 Likes

And cheaper to ship and produce. Cans are significantly responsible for making craft more price competitive.

Cans have also become significantly more popular. To the point where breweries that only produce bottles tend to find themselves in financial trouble. Smuttynose cited a lag in getting on the can trend as a primary reason they went under. Though curiously now that they’ve been bought out and returned to market their still primarily in bottles.

2 Likes

I have one of these, except for beans. It’s something I can’t seem to find anymore, built by Rostfrei. It cuts the rim from the side leaving no sharp edges and has some jaws to help you easily lift the top off. The top becomes a nice temporary lid in case you don’t drink all your beans in one sitting.

2 Likes

Twisty glass can opener

1 Like

$49 for two of these things. $24.50 in order to open a can that already has a built-in opening. What a fracking waste of money. Smell - oh yes, of course. Everyone knows it’s not possible to pour the contents of a can into a glass or a mug. And let’s not forget that without the top to stiffen the can, it is AMAZINGLY easy to accidentally squeeze the can a little too hard and turn it into geyser and lose half the contents. Any man who thinks it makes sense to spend $25.50 for one of these things should not be allowed to vote. He obviously has the financial acumen of a drunken sailor on shore leave.

6 Likes