The Draft Top turns your aluminum can into an open mouthed glass with a twist

Aluminum beverage cans seem like a pretty questionable design choice to begin with. I think it was supposed to keep USian smelter capacity going after WW2, in case we needed to crank out a lot of airplanes quickly.

It’s weird to me that they started recycling stuff, based on aluminum’s inability to degrade. Steel cans were not a problem, they just rusted to nothing.

A pity they couldnt realistically do the same for plastic.

1 Like

I had one. It was fun at first but become increasingly dull/frustrating to use.

2 Likes

Or you could just build the glass into the can from the get-go.

2 Likes

Any chance or metal filings and such enhancing the bev?

1 Like

2 Likes

I had the same thought. A product video that only shows the result tells me it’s snake-oil.

Not even neccisary. The whole smell contributes to flavor thing isn’t reliant on the container being open enough for your nose to get up in there while drinking. Cause said smell doesn’t come through your nose. It comes up through the back of your throat, and the portion of the olfactory organ responsible isn’t particularly accessible from the front, and it’s impossible to inhale while drinking.

The whole concept is a myth cooked up by Riedel to sell glassware in the 70’s and 80’s. Mostly based on junk “science” like the tongue map.

As for how smelling the beer goes, nothing prevents from sticking your nose over the opening of the can.

You just identified one of the core problems with steel cans. Shelf stability, especially in humid or sea side locations. Or critically when stored in fridges. Steel cans are also much heavier than aluminum, which increases shipping costs (and environmental impact) both for the cans themselves and the end product. They’re also more difficult and expensive to shape or form, and open. Increasing costs and pissing people off, also leading to the pull tab problem. There are reasons captive pop tops came in with aluminum.

Steel cans were more durable in shipping, leading to less waste on that front.

A few years ago I won a set of glasses at a bar that are the shape of a coke or beer can. Drinking from them is strangely enjoyable. I suspect they are activating nostalgic emotions of drinking an icy cold Coke in the summer as a kid. A quick search just now shows they can be purchased for a minimal amount. No sharp edges and dishwasher safe.

1 Like

I dunno, if it comes in a can I drink from the can.
It makes life seem a bit more cyclical than linear.

It’s comforting.
Try it.

It’s just like drinking out of a glass, only a lot more convenient.

Buying and storing this thing and chopping the top off of your cans with it is more convenient than just pouring into a glass? Doubt it.

Also makes it easier to see the BPA lining inside your beverage can. :smirk:

You can do the same thing with a the normal-ass can opener you have in your kitchen drawer…

It came in a can and I drank it from the ShamWow.

You’re right.
My life is chaos.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.