Watch: iron bottle opener being forged by hand

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I dunno, looks genuine to me.

How do you tell a forged bottle-opener from a real one, anyway?

18 Likes

Not as many components inside, and the creepage distances aren’t sufficient.
(At least if it’s a forged MagSafe bottle opener.)

8 Likes

I feel like he could cast the bottle openers and save some time. But then again he probably wants to be able to say they’re all hand-made. I’m not sure i’m picky over how i open my bottles, at least not $28 dollar’s worth.

3 Likes

With no DRM, it will open any brand.

8 Likes

Ankh if U love Guinness!

5 Likes

They might help redeem Texas eventually with this sort of local micro-manufacturing.

Sharing local, open sourced tech, our communities could add a lot more fun and interesting TTD, esp. for kids.

And some community oriented engineers, am I right @shaddack? :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Beautifully made!

It reminds of this one:

5 Likes

Awesome. I love simple, hand-made metal stuff like this. I may have to get one.

I like to think he makes a fresh one for each bottle he opens.

3 Likes

I think he uses better steel than that.

1 Like

He could not make a living doing that, at $28/beer consumed. He’d start hitting his thumb with the hammer after four beers.

4 Likes

Nah, those are the ones he sells. That’s how he pays for his beer. Although I agree that forging and drinking probably don’t go together (for long).

3 Likes

Oh, how the mighty have fallen…

1 Like

That seems like an awful lot of work and equipment and specialized dies for only $28 a piece. Especially when the whole process takes at least twice as long as this clip — a lot of reheating and repetitive steps have been edited out. Not to mention keeping the furnace running.

Every EDC I own has a bottle opener on it.
Nice to see a bottle opener that does not come with a knife blade.
;-}

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.