The world’s strongest bottle opener is also the smallest

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/13/the-worlds-strongest-bottle.html

Thanks, but no. I’m using my teeth to open beer bottles. Carrying a bottle opener on my key chain makes me look like an alcoholic.

13 Likes

There are problems with using titanium; its shear strength isn’t fantastic which means I wouldn’t have thought that profile was as good a bottle opener as ordinary martensitic steel. (There’s also the problem of using it as a hook - whatever you hook it to is going to fail first.)

4 Likes

In a keychain application, I think light weight would trump ultimate strength. There are aluminum openers not much bigger that work fine.

My buddy and I are in an ongoing competition to see what objects we can use as bottle openers. So far we’ve successfully applied butter knives, steel files, box wrenches and seat belt buckles. A sharp corner can always be used in a pinch. Basically anything sturdy that has a flat edge.

3 Likes

It’s a tiny bottle opener; therefore you will only have a tiny problem.

3 Likes

I remember learning this when my dad had me hold a quarter on the edge of a wooden picnic table.

The largest object I’ve used is a construction trailer.

The tongue had nice sharp corners.

Real men, though…

3 Likes

I frequently use chefs and pocket knives. Kitchen tongs. A bic lighter. The back end of a wrench. Wide flat head screw drivers (shorter shanks are better). Axes and hatchets. Trees. Files. Pieces of fire wood/kindling. A bench vice. And a table saw (it’s basically a metal table in this context. I’d prefer not to chip or gouge any of the other tables).

My favorite is probably the tongs. Most of the others use either the leverage against your clenched hand method. Or hang the cap on a lip and punch your wrist method. The tongs are a lot more clever. If you squeeze the tongs shut, and hold them down by the tips. The gap up by the hinge produces a perfect bottle opener just like any other. Just hook it over the bottle cap and twist.

There’s a persistent rumor that hardcore zeks (longtime residents of the gulag) could open a bottle with their eye sockets. I’m simultaneously fascinated and horrified by this idea.

2 Likes

Pfft. Real key rings are also made of titanium…

1 Like

I was referring to the towing suggestion. However, in the picture it looks a lot lighter than the keyring. In designing stuff like this there is a point at which you ask why weight saving is now of any benefit. It’s like putting a titanium exhaust on a Harley. You can do it, but why?

In any case, I thought the world’s actual strongest bottle opener was the one on IDF rifles.

1 Like

For anyone planning on using this for hauling anything… ditch the steel ring it comes with. It popped off when I used it to pull my bowling ball trailer. The ring’s a piece of shit, I’m here to say.

7 Likes

Rifles? Pffft that’s so 15th century…

2 Likes

Eh, my fingers hurt just looking at that.

2 Likes

I don’t think there was an IDF in the 15th century.
However, there is a Youtube video of someone attempting sabrage. Spoiler: I somehow suspect 21st century champagne bottles are a little different in composition from earlier ones, or the method of manufacture is different. Or it helps to have a small diamond file concealed about one’s person.
Plus, unless you belong the right regiment, sabres are a bit of a no-no these days.

I’m picturing lots of torn pockets… has anyone here actually used one of these?

Where is “Mad Jack” Churchill when you need him?

5 Likes

Tiny bottle opener just means less leverage. Who needs an incredibly strong bottle opener when a relatively strong aluminium one will work absolutely fine?

2 Likes

I use a steel ring to open beer bottles, works perfectly, and I have it (literally) on hand at all times. The ring is also useful as a “hard thing” to knock in windows or on doors, inspect materials (is this plastic, pottery or glass) and cracking eggs (boiled or raw). I don’t mind the way it looks either but I mostly got it for it’s utility.

Sabrage is not that hard, you can do it with a chefs knife (use the blunt side) and a beer bottle. I really don’t want to go experimenting with a champagne bottle just to say I did that once but if someone ever wants me to do it (on a bottle I did not buy myself) I’m definitely game. The trick is to slide the knife/sabre along the seam in the glass until you hit the crown, it takes a little practice but I’ve helped some drunk people do this (on beer bottles) and most succeed within 2 or 3 strikes.

I can recommend both as nice party tricks :slight_smile:

Opening bottles with your teeth makes you look like a jerk and an alcoholic.

Pic related: my keyring.