The world’s strongest bottle opener is also the smallest

My apartment I got near my office was built in the 1960’s (it’s an iconic building in Chicago), and so has all the original appliances in the kitchen (except the fridge). It looks like the kind of apartment Don Draper would rent for his mistress.

The broom closet in the kitchen has 2 metal shelves, and the paint is chipped off the lower one right in the middle. I wondered why this was until one day, I needed to open a beer and couldn’t find a bottle opener. To the cabinet I went, and it all became clear: decades of people who couldn’t find the bottle opener.

3 Likes

don’t blame boingboing when you break a tooth.

also I don’t like this…no leverage - it likely pops the cap right off w/ a splash and jerk.

1 Like

You mean there isn’t one of these mounted under the counter?

Are you sure it’s a 1960s apartment?

3 Likes

Although this appears to be missing any kind of leverage. Gripping the edge is half of what a typical bottle opener does. The other half is using leverage to exert MORE force than simply yanking on it.

2 Likes

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

U7Ghu2s

1 Like

If you have keys you already have a bottle opener. Just lever up the flanges in a couple of spots and the brew is yours. Now lets talk about improvised smoking apparatus…

Oh well…
yrwss

Can’t recall the name, but I think a really strong bottle-opening dwarf in Topeka, Kansas held the record for awhile.

When I see someone opening a beer using the edge of a counter, all I can think about is GOB Bluth:

GOB-Bluth-Breaks-Counter-Opening-Drink

6 Likes

Indeed, and the half that is acting as a fulcrum is also pushing down on the whole thing, stabilizing it so that it all stays together as the cap comes smoothly off, instead of the cap flying one way, the bottle the other, and some of the beer being left behind by inertia in the middle.

1 Like

I used a marble chimney mantel once… It didn’t work as planned and I’m not welcomed in that house anymore.

1 Like

this bottle opener can be so small that you’ll never notice it’s in your pocket.

also doubles as an emergency zipline.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.