The earth’s core may have reversed direction.

Originally published at: The earth's core may have reversed direction. | Boing Boing

9 Likes

That’s just the agitator part of the cycle. When it enters spin cycle is when you need to hang on.

59 Likes

No, the rotation of the Earth’s core has neither stopped nor reversed direction. The actual paper is talking about the differential rotation between the mantle and inner core, which oscillates +/- on a ~70 year timescale, not a reversal of absolute rotation, or a change in the outer core. The reporting on this has been really bad.

EDIT: for clarity

EDIT again: This part of the paper is pretty neat:

…the multidecadal periodicity of the climate system might also originate from the oscillating core–mantle system, through the surface deformations and the exchange of angular momentum from the core and mantle to the surface.

59 Likes

Thank you. That explains why we aren’t in (apparent) imminent risk of a magnetic pole reversal. yes, this reporting really needs to explain things better.

What is being reported is a shift in the inner core (solid iron, probably) and the source of the global magnetic field is the outer molten core.

link

Will this influence polar navigation?

The earth’s core is divided into two sections — the inner core and the outer core. Scientists believe the inner core is mostly solid iron, while the outer core is liquid iron and nickel.

It’s the outer core that influences the Earth’s magnetic field, causing the changes in magnetic pole location so familiar to polar explorers and cartographical nerds the world over. Since its initial documentation in the early 19th century, the Magnetic North Pole has traveled 2,250km, with the rate of travel increasing dramatically between 1990 and 2005.

25 Likes

Makes for a sensational headline, though!

15 Likes

The earth’s core may have reversed direction.

So THAT’S why my flux capacitor has stopped working!

21 Likes

Zombie Lois…

brains…

1 Like

Darn it, Clark! Cut that out—it’s not working! The miles aren’t coming off.

11 Likes

We need Squinty McChinface and Toothy Breasterson in an experimental underground train-thing to save us all!!!

3 Likes

[cancels “compasses for sale” ad on Craigslist]

10 Likes

Ugh, thanks for this. I smelled stupid the first time I read this headline and knew that once it hit BBS someone smart would explain it accurately.

14 Likes

To amplify the confusion even further tell them that the material in the core of the earth is 150000 seconds younger than the material in the mantle because way down there at the center the rate of flow of time is slower due to general relativity.

10 Likes

I thought we were already there… :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

Won’t somebody please think of the turtles?!

12 Likes

I blame Elmo. The red furry Muppet, not the trolley running Twitter.

“However, he shakes the snowglobe so much, it flies out of his hands and breaks before he can finish making his wish, which means it will be Christmas forever. All looks lost, until Elmo suggests that Lightning can fly him back in time to the Christmas Eve when it all started. They return to when Elmo pulls Santa from the chimney, and this time, Elmo winds up with the Moo-Bunny.”

ETA: why is t-r-o-l-l rendered as trolley?

6 Likes

Because if troll was rendered as ■■■■■ it would be confusing.

14 Likes

Aha! I totally forgot that was a restricted word and went back and forth with the BBS editor yesterday trying to understand why it wouldn’t accept my edits.

Idiot Facepalm GIF

That comment was also about Elon.

5 Likes

The Core is now patiently waiting for an apology from everyone who ever made fun of it.

10 Likes

Yes - came here to see what the story was actually about, as opposed to… not the best headline I’ve read.

2 Likes

Exactly. A good explainer here: https://mobile.twitter.com/coreyspowell/status/1617907735022145536

3 Likes