Why is our planet rotating faster? Scientists don't know

Originally published at: Why is our planet rotating faster? Scientists don't know | Boing Boing

6 Likes

She’s trying to shake us off like a bad case of the fleas…

One of my favorite rants of all time.

13 Likes

So many historical figures revving up in their graves?

10 Likes

Somebody hit the “accelerate time” button on the simulation.

5 Likes

Amateur guess:

There is more water on earth from a warming planet and via the tides or some other mechanic the sloshing around has changed it.

I can’t think of any other large PHYSICAL change in the earth. I suppose an outside force could be responsible.

2 Likes

Space Lasers?

11 Likes

24 Likes

I like to think that there are many tricks that a seemingly noncognitive planet has that will halt the progression of a virus like infestation. Spinning faster to overcome gravity is my new favourite.

# “The planet is fine. The people are f***ed.”― George Carlin

2 Likes

It’s trying to break free of the current timeline. You and me Earth, we’re the same. Large, spherical, and over this shit.

12 Likes

Sooo… more ice-melt places more water at lower elevations (that is “sea level”) so it’s just like an ice skater pulling in their arms to spin faster [colbert hand dusting gesture] This from the offices of the marginally credible but likely wrong.

7 Likes

This is part of the plot to one of Terry Pratchett’s Long Earth books, but I can’t recall which, and the wiki descriptions aren’t helping. I suggest just going ahead and reading them all to find out for yourself :wink:

2 Likes

Magma plumes.

1 Like

Hello sailor!
It’s nice you’re back.

17 Likes

:thinking: funny, I seem to recall February 2019 only having 28 days. How are they defining a month here?

2 Likes

Wind. Wind hitting all of the trees and buildings in its way, pushing the Earth ever faster and faster. We must chop down more trees and work on streamlining the Earth’s surface before it spins so fast that we fly off into space!

4 Likes

Pop Tv Hello GIF by Schitt's Creek

14 Likes

Someone here knows where this quote is from:

“Time exists so that everything doesn’t happen all at once.”

8 Likes

why GIF

1 Like

Maybe we need a new turboencabulator?

2 Likes

OH shit, I forgot about those…

1 Like