Why is our planet rotating faster? Scientists don't know

I’m just here for that totally epic Dead or Alive mid-80s trip down Big Hair memory lane.

4 Likes

“Seemingly”

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ve heard theories that the Earth’s outer and inner cores have become detached from each other, allowing the inner core to spin freely (sort of like a gyroscope), which in turn screws up the planet’s magnetic alignment. This misalignment messes up things like weather, bird migrations, and those cheap compasses you get in Cracker Jacks.

2 Likes

Well, we are overdue for a magnetic reversal.
Supercomputer_models_of_Earth's_magnetic_field

(Spoiler: not really…)

1 Like

It will be morbidly interesting to see what banal-but-critical systems end up freaking out when handed a negative leap second.

UTC has never excluded the possibility, so they won’t come as a surprise to exhaustively correct systems; but they aren’t something that have happened in recent history, so there are likely to be some less correct systems that have just been getting lucky so far.

2 Likes

Maybe the clock they’re using just needs a new battery.

Maybe we could get Superman back for a respin.

i dunno. i like tigers, whales, pandas, and monarch butterflies.

the world’s environment has never changed so quickly as now, and it’d be arrogant ( to use carlin’s word ) to think we can’t do real permanent damage. we don’t really have a handle on how biodiversity works and we don’t know that the rungs we’re knocking out of the ecological ladder will ever come back

the best approach is to assume that if we break it it’s broken. especially because we won’t be around to find out whether everything “turned out fine” if we wipe ourselves out

plus, i really do like the tigers, whales, pandas, monarch butterflies… they deserve for us to take more care

5 Likes

yeah I’m not disagreeing with any of that - it’s his observations on people I was talking about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Easy explanation: the earth is a spinning dancer and it decided to pull in it’s limbs a little.

Spin_nocredit4

1 Like

George said this whole show is his favorite of anything he did. Peak of his creative powers.

I was just old enough to watch it live on HBO.

George McWether Fotheringay is messing around again

I’m pretty sure it’s rising interest rates. Time is money! But if it’s not, maybe solar flares??

Cultists attempting to summon an elder god through gyromancy.

2 Likes

The earth’s rotation has sped up and slowed down by small amounts often, but averaged over centuries it is gradually slowing down. The occasional speed ups are probably due to the liquid outer core sloshing around, as well as other effects like melting ice sheets causing mass to shift around.

https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-eclipses-show-earth-s-rotation-slowing

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.