The End of Waypoint

Hello BoingBoing.

This is my first post, so sorry if it is a bit terrible.

Waypoint is a games and gaming culture website that was incorporated into Vice media. I have been listening to Waypoint podcasts since its inception in 2016. The Waypoint crew has had members come and go, but it stood out to me as a unique voice in games criticism.

So it came as a shock to me when the latest podcast announced that Vice was ending Waypoint altogether, with only one more month before operation entirely shut down. My sympathies to all those losing their employment, and hope that all will find a place to land, that recognizes their worth.

This is a tweet from Patrick Klepek announcing the closure.

5 Likes

Waypoint has long been my favorite ā€œgamesā€ podcast (quotes because itā€™s about a lot more than that). I posted a link to this weekā€™s episode in the Workers rights thread because I donā€™t know that I have really heard as frank a discussion of what is going on internally at a company during layoffs as that episode,

I am really going to miss them. Fuck capitalism and go home

3 Likes

At least this doesnā€™t appear to be a tech-like layoff of people for the sake of laying off people. I knew Vice was in trouble, but here we are:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.