Vice lays off hundreds, will cease publishing at Vice.com

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/23/vice-lays-off-hundreds-will-cease-publishing-at-vice-com.html

7 Likes

There’s always the Internet Archive, but the greedpigs who own Vice will no doubt try to strongarm them somehow to squeeze a few more pennies out in order to cover their mismanagement of the brand.

7 Likes

The people who bought the Village Voice did leave the corpse propped up at the window. That might bring in some advertising money.

7 Likes

…and achieve our shared goals.

This went out to employees who are being laid off as well? Cause if so, I’m fairly sure those leaving are not having their goals achieved, making the exclusionary “our” in this statement comes across as pretty callous.

13 Likes

Aperture Science! Vice.com!
We do what we must because we can!
For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead

9 Likes

But there’s no sense crying over every mistake.

5 Likes

I heard a recent plea for donations to NPR that mentioned that journalists are losing their jobs at a rate faster than coal miners. That’s probably a serious understatement. :frowning:

10 Likes

Also “eliminating several hundred positions” is a strange choice of words, isn’t it? Would not “reducing our workforce by several hundred” have sufficed?

Maybe it was originally, “Tossing several hundred positions on the scrapheap” but their PR dept edited that slightly?

5 Likes

e81f233f12aaf52c_giphy-25

4 Likes

Go ahead and leave me
I think I’d prefer to stay inside
Maybe you’ll find someone else
To employ you

Maybe at Gawker?
That was a joke, ha-ha, fat chance
Anyway, this cake is great
It’s so delicious and ■■■■■

7 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

2 Likes

Vice surrenders by Cory Doctorow

9 Likes

From that post…

2 Likes

The Vice Media Collapse Was Entirely The Fault Of Incompetent, Fail-Upward Brunchlords

8 Likes

Someone had the genius idea to launch a TV channel, because what millennials really wanted to do was stay in every night watching terrestrial TV. In a postmortem podcast uploaded on Friday by soon-to-be-laid-off Vice staffers to a Vice YouTube channel – their bosses had blocked access to Vice.com, but forgotten about YouTube – journalists pointed the finger at “the fucking babies in charge” and their catastrophic, ever-changing non-strategies.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.